PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup to Revit

olson
2005-11-19, 10:18 PM
Hello,
i am a long time sketchup user. can you bring sketchup models into revit and use the information to generate walls etc?

SkiSouth
2005-11-19, 10:36 PM
No, actually the import of sketchup is better than Revit. Revit can take the 3d dwg files. The real question is does it use the info to generate walls. That answer is no. The BIM portion of Revit I do not believe has the ability to recognize on import that an object is a wall and so assign the wall designation to the import.

Can you use the information? Absolutely. Several users on the forum use Sketchup to build their families and import these into Revit via 3d dwg.

AP23
2005-11-19, 10:41 PM
Is this what your aiming for? http://download.graphisoft.com/ftp/marketing/su4ac/

knurrebusk
2005-11-19, 10:54 PM
The next release of Archicad will be very important!
I´m folding my hands for competition.

GuyR
2005-11-19, 11:07 PM
Yep, I think V10 of ArchiCAD is going to be crunch time in terms of providing real competition to Revit. Autodesk have certainly let Graphisoft back into the game so it will be interesting to see if graphisoft can pull one out of the bag.

Guy

Scott D Davis
2005-11-20, 01:06 AM
you can mass a shape in sketchup, export to 3D dwg, import that DWG into a Revit Mass family. Then drop the mass in a project, and use Building Maker in Revit to apply walls, roofs, floors, etc. to the mass.

SkiSouth
2005-11-20, 02:05 AM
Nice demo - would be great if all transfers in Revit /Viz/ Sketchup were that easy - that material uvw is still an item out there though.

olson
2005-11-20, 06:31 AM
I guess I am just looking for a method. i can get the dwg in but cant do nothing with it.

cosmickingpin
2005-11-20, 06:55 AM
I have actually done a project with a "design architect" who worked in sketchup and he gave us the sketchup model and I was able to get very good results from it. What do you want to do with it? he got fairy detailed in his modeling and I was careful about how I imported it. each "thing" was exported to Acad separately and them imported to Revit. if I needed to change the model, I made my changes in cad (if you can model in cad you should be able to do anything you want with the sketchup model- stretch, scale and modify however you want- the fact that I modeled in cad for years helps). yes you can't modify it in Revit, as it won't be a "Revit model entity" but I was able to control various things as separate subcategories (glazing, structure, etc...) and modify the display properties at my will, and was very happy with the results. I would post the model but I would compromise what little anonymity I enjoy here on augi (its just a matter of time before I am found out for the trpublemaker I am). It worked well, and shovels turn later this winter. If you need to mess with the model do it in cad and you can have your way with it. You may need to recreate walls in revit but how hard can that be. post a model (or image) of your troubles and see what we sugest- there's a lot of people who can help you out here- you might even become embrassed how much they will help you ou.

I guess I am just looking for a method. i can get the dwg in but cant do nothing with it.

A3D
2005-11-20, 10:08 AM
Just a bit of topic, but I have to say the ArchiCAD interface as seen in the video is quite nice... especially when you get all those windows graphically displayed.

DDbyBobW
2005-11-20, 01:41 PM
you can mass a shape in sketchup, export to 3D dwg, import that DWG into a Revit Mass family. Then drop the mass in a project, and use Building Maker in Revit to apply walls, roofs, floors, etc. to the mass.

Hi Scott,

Are you saying that we can design a void mass shape in Sketchup and bring it into Revit in a Revit Mass family and apply it in a nested Revit family as well?

Thanks,
Bob W

olson
2005-11-20, 03:36 PM
Thanks Guys, I figured it out. I am still new at this and running through the tutorials. I do most of my design in sketchup just because it is fast. Hopefully i can get my Revit skills up to speed. I just like the fact i can create a pretty detailed model with material in minuites. I did in fact last night playing around create some braces and metal plate connections in sketchup very quick and brought them into revit and was able to place them in the model and dimension to them and such. its nice to see that we can still have sketchup in our workflow.

mtogni
2005-11-20, 05:11 PM
Just a bit of topic, but I have to say the ArchiCAD interface as seen in the video is quite nice... especially when you get all those windows graphically displayed.
ArchiCAD, SketchUp, why not others such Vectorworks and even autoCAD have a nice interface... only Revit does not! Ok, not important to work with but a bit of "eye"...

Scott D Davis
2005-11-20, 05:42 PM
Hi Scott,

Are you saying that we can design a void mass shape in Sketchup and bring it into Revit in a Revit Mass family and apply it in a nested Revit family as well?

Thanks,
Bob W
You can't make a "void" in sketchup and bring that into Revit. You can make any shape in sketchup, and then bring that shape into Revit. You must make a new Family, using the Mass template. Import the 3D DWG exported from Sketchup into the new family, and save the new family. Then load that new Mass into your project, and place it. Now use the Massing tools, including Wall by Face, etc, to apply Revit objects to the sketchup mass.

DDbyBobW
2005-11-20, 09:32 PM
Thank you Scott,
Bob W