PDA

View Full Version : Wacom cintique 15 tablet. What's it good for?

m_cahoon14336
2005-11-20, 03:31 AM
I now have a wacom cintique 15 tablet back on line. I've had it for some time, but have not had it hooked-up, or used it. So. what's it good for, other than putting sticky-back notes on? Does it have any use with revit? Is there software I can use to red line .rvt, .dwg, and .pdf's? I am told it's good with sketch-up, but what else?

blads
2005-11-20, 04:38 AM
For any application that requires some form of drawing on a computer - a digitising tablet is a considerably more ergonomic and comfortable option than a mouse, or so I have been told.

I have mainly seen their use in the realm of digital photography, especially if they need to do any extensive retouching or masking in their work. For simple retouching with the clone tool or rubber stamp it is certainly helpful to use a tablet, and for creating complex masks it is preferred to use one in my opinion.

hand471037
2005-11-20, 05:38 AM
I now have a wacom cintique 15 tablet back on line. I've had it for some time, but have not had it hooked-up, or used it. So. what's it good for, other than putting sticky-back notes on? Does it have any use with revit? Is there software I can use to red line .rvt, .dwg, and .pdf's? I am told it's good with sketch-up, but what else?

If you export your whole Revit sets as DWF's, and then use the $100 DWF Composer tool, you can redline those DWF's and then have whomever's picking them up pull them back into Revit, where they appear over the top of the Revit views...

Steve_Stafford
2005-11-20, 06:16 AM
I now have a wacom cintique 15 tablet back on line. I've had it for some time, but have not had it hooked-up, or used it. So. what's it good for, other than putting sticky-back notes on? Does it have any use with revit? Is there software I can use to red line .rvt, .dwg, and .pdf's? I am told it's good with sketch-up, but what else?...if you don't want it, I'll take it... :wink: I posted an article in my blog (http://www.revitoped.com) about tablets and mention my experience with the 18" Cintiq...some of it translates to the 15". The resolution is probably the thing you'd find hardest to cope with using it with Revit. Try it out, you might like it?

DDbyBobW
2005-11-20, 01:56 PM
...use the $100 DWF Composer tool, you can redline those DWF's ...

I have been using the 15" Cintiq with DWF Composer and my Tablet PCs and it works great especially since the screen size is larger than the Tablets. However when using the 15" Cintiq with my workstations 20" LCD I have found setting dual monitors to be a bother so I only use the 15" Cintiq with equal or smaller PC monitors. Since I prefer to be able to look up from the Cintiq since sometimes my hand covers what I am working on.

Hope this helps,
Bob W

m_cahoon14336
2005-11-20, 04:29 PM
Our consulting engineers send their review drawings as .dwgs or pdfs. Is there a red line software or tool for this?

hand471037
2005-11-20, 07:16 PM
Our consulting engineers send their review drawings as .dwgs or pdfs. Is there a red line software or tool for this?

If you've got the full version of Acrobat, you can redline PDF's. But you can't then pull those redlines back into Revit.

I think at one point Autodesk made something that let you redline DWG's. I don't remember now. Could you ask your subs to send DWF's instead?

blads
2005-11-20, 09:11 PM
If you need redlining then Autodesk DWF Composer is the product for you if you wish to use DWF's...

(DXF Viewer will only allow viewing of redlines created in Composer)

hand471037
2005-11-21, 12:59 AM
wait, on second thought, that thing is useless junk. why don't you just mail it to me, where I can 'dispose' of it properly. :D

blads
2005-11-21, 01:20 AM
Nice try Jeffrey :grin:

sultarc
2005-11-21, 02:46 AM
I've got an 18" Cintiq. I spent $4,000.00 for it to use with Autodesk Architectural Studio, then they dropped the program. It was a kool program, mabe just ahead of its time. Anyway nit just collects dust now. Alias however makes a pen based sketch program also and the Autodesk program still works but alas no more upgrades.

m_cahoon14336
2005-11-21, 07:28 AM
That's also the reason I bought the wacom. I thought AAS was a good program. It was a poor decision by Autodesk. Do you think they will ever drop Revit?........Jeffery, If I decide to mail the wacom to you, What do you plan to use it for?

Wes Macaulay
2005-11-21, 08:03 AM
Jeffery, If I decide to mail the wacom to you, What do you plan to use it for?He'll use it to make money, mate... the lad has tablet lust :mrgreen:

sultarc
2005-11-21, 02:57 PM
Mabe I should post mine on Ebay????? I could use the money.

hand471037
2005-11-21, 04:55 PM
That's also the reason I bought the wacom. I thought AAS was a good program. It was a poor decision by Autodesk. Do you think they will ever drop Revit?........Jeffery, If I decide to mail the wacom to you, What do you plan to use it for?

Ah man, don't even tease me. I've used Wacom tablets for the last nine years. I've worn out two (literally- the pens are toast), sold one, and am now on my fourth. It's such an intergal part of my workflow that I really hope Wacom doesn't go anywhere. So after trying out a flatscreen wacom, it was such a natural way of working that it's all I've wanted for two or three years (in regards to computer stuff) but I've never gotten the money together to get one. Yet. So I'd use it as my monitor and mouse, pretty much. Revit, Blender, Photoshop, and the CNC software is what I spend 90% of my time on these days, so that's where I'd apply it.

mmodernc
2005-11-24, 09:53 PM
Are the cheaper Wacoms worth it? Graphire/Intuos. If you spend so much on a
Cintique are you not better of getting a tablet PC? Is there a better value brand than Wacom?

sultarc
2005-11-25, 02:45 AM
I would say that the large screen size, especially for freehand sketching, would be better than a write on lap top. But the big screen definitely isn't portable. Its great for those freehand sketchers though if you have AAS or the Alias sketch program.

hand471037
2005-11-25, 03:38 AM
Are the cheaper Wacoms worth it? Graphire/Intuos. If you spend so much on a
Cintique are you not better of getting a tablet PC? Is there a better value brand than Wacom?

No. All other tablets I've tried or seen aren't very good. Wacom really is your only choice here.

Wacom also makes those screens that go into the tablet PC's, which aren't a better choice for me, for there's only one (from Toshiba) IIRC that could even being to handle the 3D work I do. Tablet PC's are sadly designed to be executive playthings, and typically don't even have a 3D graphics card or fast enough processors to run basic CAD, let alone Revit and rendering work. A Cintique however could be hooked to my Sager or to a desktop, so it would be much more useful for me, personally.

sultarc
2005-11-25, 03:41 AM
Jeffrey,

Do you use the cintiq for Revit? I actually haven't tried.

Steve_Stafford
2005-11-25, 03:45 PM
I posted an article about using a tablet and cintiq on my BLOG. (http://www.revitoped.com/) I used the 18" Cintiq for about 8 months last year. It was great! I used it for everything and mostly Revit. The 15" Cintiq in my opinion does not have a deep enough resolution to use for Revit or Cad all day long. That's true of the old ones at least. The newer ones have much greater resolution capabilities. As I say in my blog, it is a very personal choice, people either love it or hate it...see where you land?

hand471037
2005-11-26, 06:15 PM
Jeffrey,

Do you use the cintiq for Revit? I actually haven't tried.

I don't own a Cintiq. I wish I did. I own an Intous now. Used Wacoms longer than I've used Revit, and it's my mouse, it's all I use. I have tried using a Cintiq with Revit, and really liked it a lot.