PDA

View Full Version : Mesh Problems Again!

dpatera1
2005-11-21, 02:43 AM
I have posted this problem before and have gotten good answers. However, I still have not solved the problem to my liking. I am trying to make mesh ceiling that is made of steel and that can be seen from a hidden line view. I need the mesh to have thickness and to produce shadows. One solution was to make a horizontal curtain system and use the mullions as the grid. My mesh is too dense for this solution does anyone have a tips for me. Another was to use grid hatch however that has no thickness and does not produce shadow. HELP! I know there has to be a solution for this. I am not a novice but am very weak at families so I need family solutions spelled out to me.

Scott D Davis
2005-11-21, 02:52 AM
How dense is your ceiling grid? Custom mullions in the horizontal curtain systems didn't work? That sounds like the best solution.

dpatera1
2005-11-21, 02:57 AM
The mesh is .5" by .5" diamond gaps with 18/th inch steel. Maybe I don't know how to do it right. I am new to curtain walls too. When I did it my computer keeps locking. Also, assume there is a way to have the grid build itself automatically but I don't know how to. I have to painstakingly draw in every single grid line. ????

Merlin
2005-11-21, 03:42 AM
Hi,
I'd be inclined to have another crack at the curtain system. Sorry, I'm not sure what you had as advice previously, so I might be repeating what you were told.
You would need to create a meshed surface and use that as the panel for the curtain system
John Mc

Scott D Davis
2005-11-21, 05:39 AM
The mesh is .5" by .5" diamond gaps with 18/th inch steel. Maybe I don't know how to do it right. I am new to curtain walls too. When I did it my computer keeps locking. Also, assume there is a way to have the grid build itself automatically but I don't know how to. I have to painstakingly draw in every single grid line. ????You are using Revit 8.1, correct? You will need to create a new mullion profile for the 1/8" steel. I assume it's 1/8" square? If it's round, I would still build it square, otherwise you will be adding a TON of complexity to the model.

Try using the Massing tools. Draw a new Mass the shape of the ceiling, and the top or bottom of the Mass at the Mesh ceiling level. Now, use the Mass Tools "Curtain Wall By Face" and pick the surface of the mass that represents the ceiling. Revit will by default, make this a 5' x 10' curtain system, because its predefined. Select the newly created Curtain System, go to Properties>Edit>Duplicate to create your 1/2" mesh system. Make sure your 1/8" "mullion" is loaded, and then you can apply that profile in your "predefined" curtain wall. Set the spacing distance to 1/2", and set the angle of the grids to your preference. After creating the new grid, you "default" one on the Mass will switch to your new predefined mesh.

WARNING!!! I've tried this with a 1" mullion, and 2" spacing on a 10' x 10' mass (see image) and Revit had to crank on the calculation for about 5 minutes on a P-mobile 2.0 ghz with 2 gigs of Ram, with nothing more than a mass and the new grid in the project.

So to answer your questions, yes its possible, and you can predefine the system so you dont have to 'click' all the grid positions.

Mr Spot
2005-11-21, 06:15 AM
Another option would be to draw it all as model lines... draw them on the appropriate plane then array them.... (i think they cast shadows but can't be sure, need to check)

blads
2005-11-21, 06:50 AM
You are using Revit 8.1, correct? You will need to create a new mullion profile for the 1/8" steel. I assume it's 1/8" square? If it's round, I would still build it square, otherwise you will be adding a TON of complexity to the model. <snip>

Very nice Scott - great work