PDA

View Full Version : Revit and multiprocessor computer

E-Key
2005-11-21, 06:52 PM
From time to time I copy elements of typical floor in my 40-levels project. sometimes it takes up to 4 hours. On my computer with Hyper-Threading technology I can see that only one virtual processor is used and CPU usage is 50%. The best solution now is to turn off the HT technology to improve computer productivity.
And I'd like to ask for AUGI people opinion do you think that so heavy application as Revit needs the multiprocessor support?

Prodev75
2005-11-21, 07:43 PM
I was just discussing that here with my IT guys. Even better anyone using Pentium D (dual core).
http://www.Intel.com/personal/desktop/Pentium_d/

GuyR
2005-11-21, 07:58 PM
Multiprocessor support is a must. Both AMD and Intel have stated this is the future for CPU's. This is on the wishlist. However, my understanding is that because of the way Revit operates this is no small task. So when is the big ?.

I have a AMD64X2 4400+ and it's lovely. You can render in the background all day long and be working on Revit as well. I can definitely recommend it.

Guy

E-Key
2005-11-21, 07:59 PM
Even better anyone using Pentium D (dual core).
Pentium D is a solution like two single-processor computers in one case. Revit create only one thread for operation system and can't use the second processor in multi-processor configuration. So you can use with Revit only "half" of the computer.

Prodev75
2005-11-21, 08:10 PM
Pentium D is a solution like two single-processor computers in one case. Revit create only one thread for operation system and can't use the second processor in multi-processor configuration. So you can use with Revit only "half" of the computer.

?????

**edit the question****

So you're saying that Revit's(code) isn't segmented to use a dual-core processor?

E-Key
2005-11-21, 08:13 PM
So are you saying is that Revit's(code) is or isn't segmented to use a dual-core processor?As far as I can see, it's true.

iru69
2005-11-21, 08:30 PM
On my computer with Hyper-Threading technology I can see that only one virtual processor is used and CPU usage is 50%. The best solution now is to turn off the HT technology to improve computer productivity.
No, I think there's a misunderstanding there. It does not mean your CPU usage is only 50%. It's still being used at 100%, it's just hyperthreading playing "tricks" in the Windows Task Manager (two virtual processors operating at the same time would be 100%, so if only one virtual processor is operating, it's 50% - but that one virtual processor is still operating at 100%... understand?).

It's best to have HT enabled.

Jit
2005-11-22, 05:49 AM
Hi Ekurbatov

Just as a matter of ineterest, is your project workseted ?

Just seems way too long

SCShell
2005-11-22, 02:19 PM
Hey there,

My pentium D works great when rendering. I do see a difference and it is nice to be able to do other things while rendering.

Steve

truevis
2005-11-22, 02:32 PM
Anyone want to benchmark their HT Pentium using this utility? (Mike Lin's startup.exe is de rigueur for any computer I work on.)

http://www.mlin.net/SMPSeesaw.shtml
"SMP Seesaw

SMP Seesaw is a small utility for dual-CPU workstations that allows the user to finely tune how Windows balances the processing load between the two CPUs.

By default, Windows tries to balance the processing load as evenly as possible: when one process is running on CPU 0 and another process needs to execute, Windows runs it on CPU 1. This greatly improves multitasking performance under Windows NT and even moreso under Windows 2000. However, it is sometimes useful to dedicate an entire CPU to only one or two processes to get maximum performance from them - single-threaded games, software-based DVD playback and VMware (www.vmware.com) are good examples."