PDA

View Full Version : What can Revit do????

Prodev75
2005-11-21, 09:51 PM
I just read a very interesting article today. It kind of blew me away.
I take it that some of you receive AUGI World, which is the office publication of Autodesk User Group International. First let me say I read this from time to time and generally like most of the articles in the AUGI publication.

In the Nov/Dec 2005 issue, there is an article on B.I.M. The articles title is “BIM, beyond the hype”. Turn to page 8 and look at the section titled “The Analysis level” It reads and I quote “Once a model has been created, it can then be analyzed for purposes such as structural member determination, electrical and mechanical loads, and recently through gbXML for energy consumption loads.”

I’ve been using Revit for about 3 ½ years now. Where in the heck is the electrical,mechanical loads calculation button!!! Does AUGI in general have access to such privileged information that hints Revit can do this? This article says it does but I can’t seem to do it. And if it does show me!

Other wise don’t try and sell me on something that does not’t do what you say it does!!

Instead of Looking “beyond the hype”, lets create some.

Mr Spot
2005-11-21, 10:07 PM
I don't believe it implies there is a loads calculation button...

It states it can be analysed for electrical and mechanical loads - i guess this implies the volume of the space can be obtained and thus engineers can then do the calculations. I just think its wordly badly...

My 2 cents.

janunson
2005-11-21, 10:07 PM
I don't believe Autodesk is looking to add analysis into Revit any time soon... even in Revit Structural, they're providing hooks for 3rd party analysis tools to latch on, but not providing any actual calcs.

For now, try saving out to GbXML and go to http://greenbuildingstudio.com/ to upload and get a free energy analysis, at least in North America... it's not very detailed but the best i can find automatically, fur further analysis, 3rd party tools are still required. - things like IES analysis software, Ecotect, etc.

I think it would be great to get a little more 'Analysis' out of the box though...

Prodev75
2005-11-21, 10:31 PM
I don't believe it implies there is a loads calculation button...

It states it can be analysed for electrical and mechanical loads - i guess this implies the volume of the space can be obtained and thus engineers can then do the calculations. I just think its wordly badly...

My 2 cents.

Actually its worded very badly. Better yet just plain wrong information. It tells me that it can calculate loads and it can not. Atleast not now. And yes I know there isn't a calculate load button. People who read these articles sometime believe the info contained. Now you ask a question for me since you are coming in defense. Can Revit calculate the volume of a room?

Wesley
2005-11-21, 11:13 PM
Actually its worded very badly. Better yet just plain wrong information. It tells me that it can calculate loads and it can not. Atleast not now. And yes I know there isn't a calculate load button. People who read these articles sometime believe the info contained. Now you ask a question for me since you are coming in defense. Can Revit calculate the volume of a room?

Well, it is worded rather badly, but it doesn't say that it can do the claculations, it says that the calculations can be done. Semantics, perhaps, but nevertheless it is correct. Revit can send information out to other programs (such as etabs for structure or GBS for energy, among others) for analysis, then bring the information back and automatically modify the model to suit (for structure, mechanical, etc; not energy).

Regards,
Wes

... and yes, Revit can calculate room volumes.

Prodev75
2005-11-22, 01:11 AM
OK OK

Yes room volume. Add an extra parameter here and there which is not a problem. Point is... This portion of the article is very misleading. I just couldn't digest that electrical, mechanical analysis thing. The last thing you would want is to have a someone read it and the base a decision or form an opinion on something that was worded badly or just flat out wrong. But then I guess that would be careless on both ends.

NUFF said

wildcat_714
2005-11-22, 07:21 PM
As far as the electrial and mechanical thing goes, might they be referring to the Revit Systems that is scheduled to be released sometime next year?
p-

janunson
2005-11-22, 08:08 PM
... and yes, Revit can calculate room volumes.
um... not without workarounds, and not very accurately.

SCShell
2005-11-23, 01:32 PM
Hey there,
Couldn't help but add my 2 cents.
As far as electrical, maybe they consider "calculatate loads" to be that you can add parameters to all of your lights and plugs etc and then schedule them to show load totals.
(ie: Duplex Receptacle = 180 VA, etc)

Just a thought.
Steve

ajayholland
2005-11-23, 07:57 PM
Instead of Looking “beyond the hype”, lets create some.

I agree, and I wouldn’t protest too strongly. The article refers to BIM in general, and not specifically to Revit. Also, the idea that there is “hype” about BIM is not expressed in the article; it appears only on the magazine’s cover.

The entire scope of building information modeling includes conceptual design, detailed geometric design, structural finite element analysis, structural steel fabrication, design coordination, construction planning and sequencing, energy analysis, fire/life safety and egress, resource planning and more.

The Revit platform may eventually encompass some of these design aspects; others will remain as external tools dependent on the exchange of modeled data.

~AJH