PDA

View Full Version : Top of Steel - High Points & Low Points

razorx1858
2004-03-14, 02:44 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm tinkering with Revit's structural components and am interested in the best way to establish a top of steel high point & low point for some sloping steel bar joists.

It seems easy enough to set up two elevations, one for the high and one for the low point.

BUT....

What's the technique to run a bar joist with one end connected to the high point and the other end connected to the low point AND be able to adjust these high and low points as desired for the design AND keeping the ends of bar joist's ends locked at these elevations?

I set up a simple test, two columns and one beam). I connected the beam to the two columns for a simple span. Then i tried to adjust one of the two columns to a different elevation, figuring that the beam's end would rotate up to the new elevation, BUT it doesn't, it just stays at the orignial elevation with no rotation.

Need a little help guys. Thanks.

sbrown
2004-03-14, 04:33 PM
YOu need to place the beam/joist, in a framing elevation from the high point to the low point. place your gridline first in plan, then create an elevation view(check the align with grid option) Then in that elevation click the struct. beam command and you can then place the beam on a slope. I've also created roof based bar joists that are much easier to use in my opinion. I hope to see in the future the ability to just place the sloping beam/joist in plan and tell it what level each end should be on.(maybe this is in 6.1 I haven't tried yet.

Dean Camlin
2004-03-14, 08:20 PM
Scott, I haven't tried this, but it should work. What about putting in a sloping reference plane & setting it as the working plane, then inserting the framing members? They should slope with the plane.

Charles Francis
2004-03-14, 10:35 PM
Dean:
I did just what you were indicating last week using ref. planes to set beams to a roof slope. The project was designed using a hipped roof and due to the hip condition on one end, 5 ref. planes were required; 3 in the planes of the roof and one each on the hip ridges. The system worked well enough but you still have the problem of not being able to work with the ends in 3d [unless I have missed something].

David Sammons
2004-03-15, 12:19 PM
You will find some information about this particular issue at the following link (which you initiated last December).

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1922&highlight=sloping+steel

I do not think 6.1 allows for changing the elevation at each end of a framing member but this would be a very nice feature when dealing with sloping structural members.

Dave S.

tyler.kawahara356150
2007-12-19, 12:45 AM
Create the sloped deck and create a named reference plane using the bottom face of the roof deck. Set the work plane by selecting the new reference plane from the pulldown. Now, create your framing.