PDA

View Full Version : Revit sun orientation

CCI Design
2005-11-22, 09:00 PM
When doing renderings, is there a quick way within the coordinate system to check the building's orientation, and possibly adjust it without physically moving the building to get shading as accurate as possible?

DanielleAnderson
2005-11-23, 12:34 AM
Well, assuming you drew your building on a survey or with some relation to where north actually is, you can just choose your location in accurender and it will give you sun angles for wherever the building is, but I'm assuming your question is more involved than this...
Otherwise you can choose to change the sun's angle directly using solar angles, but that is hit-or-miss unless you are a real expert on where the sun should be during the day.
If you're saying that your building is facing the wrong direction for your location, than you could create a project north where the building coordinates are changed but you didn't actually move the building, and someone correct me if I'm wrong (I've never had to deal with this), I think that the sun should render from wherever you have north set to in your building (i.e. project or true).
Hopefully this is helpful, if not, perhaps give us the scenario... :)

gordolake
2005-11-23, 04:40 AM
A couple of points,

Often survey drawings have azimuth (bearings) of magnetic north not true (grid) north. This is typical of older surveys and needs to be checked as the magnetic to true variation could affect shadows.

Here in Australia its in the order of 11.5 degrees. Therefore a rotation of the property lines may need to be considered, or under >render settings >sun >settings there is a north setting to adjust the sun orientation. This does work but has no correlation to project / true north changes (very confusing.)

Maybe needs the factory to look at this.

Often it is best to set a 3D view to plan view and render to check orientation.