PDA

View Full Version : help a beginer....

bimologist
2005-11-22, 10:34 PM
I am getting myself finally into Revit and coming fro ADT.
two questions for now.
1. Why I cannot change the Wall Height once I start the first sketch point.
2. Why you cannot change the Loc Line while in the command.

I am used to issuing the command and hten worry about parameters, yah yah, this is REvit chnage your behaviour , I will, but in the mean time I am just curious as to why this is grayed out

thanks
more stupid questions to follow...

aaronrumple
2005-11-22, 11:03 PM
Location line is not as relevant in Revit as ADT. You can change the location line through the properties once complete. I usually draw with no attention paid to location line and then grab a group and change them all at once later.

You can change the settings while "in" the command. As soon as you click the wall tool you are "in" the command. You just can't make changes while you are placing a segment.

I suspect you are using the chain option? (Like most AutoCAD users.) Revit is set to click-click-(wall)-return to wall tool by default. It doesn't exit the command like AutoCAD. So with the default settings you can change these properties between different wall segments. I don't use the chain options much. I find it gets in the way.

rsharp
2005-11-23, 12:11 AM
I have found that it's a good idea to keep in mind, at the very beginning,where you're dimensioning to. Here we almost always dimension to face of framing, so when in doubt, at the onset of the project we almost always set our walls to face of core. I would suppose if you always dimension to centerlines that would be your default.

It's a very common practice where we have an Autocad background we are tracing over. If that's the case, I always try to be mindful of where the location line is set before I start laying out.

SkiSouth
2005-11-23, 02:50 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Revit. You'll eventually fall in love with it, (if you don't suddenly collapse your computer screen (violently of course) first....

Have you worked the tutorials? If not, stop and at least work the first few. They'll keep some of the struggle down to a minimum.

Aaron's right, you really don't HAVE to be exact when you start ( but Acad habits are hard to break). Revit is made to be very flexible. You don't have to decide immediately that your wall is 20'-0" or 10'-0" tall. simply Draw the plan, then select all the walls and change their heights to be whatever under properties. I usually don't worry about the initial height of the wall when laying out a plan. Same applies to the loc wall. Once you get into reference planes and their implications, location line gets to take on more meaning. Remember you can set your dimension lines to be face of wall, center of wall of center of core, face of core etc... And each dimension can be set different.

Your questions are not dumb unless you don't ask them. Everyone on this forum has struggled with the mental change Revit requires. Hang in there, and ask away...