PDA

View Full Version : BIM, 3D Faces, Solids, AEC Objects and Material Definitions

phyllisr
2005-11-23, 12:36 AM
Is there a way to access any BIM content from AEC objects or traditional AutoCAD 3D Objects? Is it possible (jumping through hoops, even) to retain any material definitions from AEC objects? Eventually, this will be a non-issue but we must still make it through a migration with 5 years of legacy ADT projects. I do understand the issues with solids and faces and meshes and mass families but I am hoping for a magic bullet.

My first goal is creating some schedule information even in the most basic form. For example, on behalf of a contractor with whom we are partnering on a large ADT project, I have created a schedule for him that draws information from mass elements and 3D solids in ADT. I would like to be able to use this in Revit without creating a mass family for each and every object in the file. Further, once created as a family, it appears I really cannot do anything productive scheduling these mass families. Is this an impossible dream?

Second, is there any way importing DWG files such that I can retain the material definitions? I can import a model with mass elements or walls and see everything I want but those objects will not accept materials when assigning to imported families (see clip). If I convert all the AEC objects to 3D Solids and monkey with layer management, it works with object styles but it's still a bunch of effort. I am also not so nuts about the view when I use the mesh created via 3dsout and 3dsin - the mesh lines are visible. Last (also in the clip), AEC objects appear as lines in all views. Is there a trick to this I am missing? Is this another impossible dream?

As a tip for those migrating from ADT (or if you happen to be a Revit user with a few ADT licenses), mass elements (unlike 3D Solids) do explode into 3D Faces rather than regions. It's easy to convert a solid to a mass element and this method avoids the mesh lines from 3dsout and 3dsin. It also creates less junk to purge and audit in AutoCAD.

Thanks in advance,
PBR

aaronrumple
2005-11-23, 01:31 AM
ADT to Revit will have to be addressed at some point by adsk. I imagine it is very low on the ADT team's priorities for obvious reasons and high on th Revit Team's list. For now there are no great options.