PDA

View Full Version : Linework Grips

studio3p
2004-03-15, 04:15 AM
There are an increasing number of cases where the Linework tool simply changes to model line to the appropriate weight but does not provide the grips so that I can adjust where that line weight begins and ends along the length of the line. I don't recognize any "rule" that would explain why and when this happens. In sections and elevations the grips sometimes come up and sometimes not.

Any ideas?

Dean Camlin
2004-03-15, 10:47 AM
Linework responds differently, depending on whether they are cut lines or lines at some distance from the cut plane (background or foreground). You can adjust the length of the latter, but cut lines must be changed wholesale. I wouldn't mind if this behavior could be changed, but that's how it is now.

aggockel50321
2004-03-15, 12:42 PM
I think the linework tool just changes the view's representation of the geometry shown.

If you want to lengthen or shorten these lines using the linework tool, you're going to change the geometry as well.

If you need to do what you want, you might be better off to first use the linework tool to change those lines to invisible, & then use the detail line tool with the pick option to place symbolic lines over the invisible line. Then you'll be able to drag the ends...

bclarch
2004-03-15, 02:54 PM
Andrew,

Linework does allow for adjustment of the length of just the reassigned type of the changed line. It can be very useful. Double check the help file for details. Just wanted to give you a quick heads up since its such a useful little enhancement to know about.

Joseph & Dean,

I'm not ignoring you guys but I haven't encountered any problems with this ( in 5.1, haven't tried using it in 6.x yet) so I can't offer any solutions. Sorry.

FK
2004-03-15, 05:59 PM
I'll confirm: cut edges and silhouettes do not get segment linework. All linework is applied at draw time, there is no geometry modification.

If you want change, bother your CS to bother me. Differential pressure between reports goes a long way. ;-)

aggockel50321
2004-03-15, 06:03 PM
Thanks Robert, I did not realize that.

Most of the linework stuff I tend to do is in plan views.

That's a nice feature. It doesn't seem to work in plan views, though.

mlgatzke
2004-03-16, 04:23 AM
As Dean said, the linework tool will change the entire line length if the line being modified is a "cut" line. Likewise, if the line having it's line weight changed is seen in projection, you will get the grips to modify a length of the line you want to change.

And. . . why is this? There are MANY times that I want to change the line weight of a "cut" segment of line ONLY FOR A PORTION of the distance of the entire line.

Maybe this is one for the Wishlist. Are you getting this Greg? Maybe a poll.

beegee
2004-03-16, 07:38 AM
Maybe this is one for the Wishlist. Are you getting this Greg? Maybe a poll.

Greg won't get it unless its posted to the Wishlist Forum.... :shock:

kittyj2345712753
2015-11-09, 09:24 PM
It seems like you also don't get grips to control the length of the linework tool in perspectives?