PDA

View Full Version : Section Detail Etc.

olson
2005-11-26, 01:13 AM
Hello,
I have some general questions. We do alot of wood framed structures. how do you take the model you have built and show studs in section etc. and also can you get that info to follow through details? I noticed the the sectons are general but if you could add linework in a section view then when you bubble a detail the linework follows. Still new at this just curious.

Cheers
Chris Olson

iru69
2005-11-26, 02:13 AM
Most folks probably add elements like studs as 2D detail componets. If you need to see it in a section, you add it once. If you need to see it in a detail, you add it again.

For many details, there's a disconnect between the section and the detail - it's just easier to draw a static 2D detail that can more clearly show flashing, building paper, etc. then trying to add such elements to a live section.

When I used AutoCAD, I used to show all the plates and headers in my section... now I don't bother unless it's 1/2" or larger. It's funny, but now I'm thinking why did I waste all that time putting them in my AutoCAD drawings... what was the point?

However, it's pretty easy to add model components, such as studs, to areas of a model that you'll be taking section and detail cuts through so that you don't have to add them as detail components multiple times.

m_cahoon14336
2005-11-26, 04:23 AM
Chris, Attached is a recent example I have of a detail that was started from a Revit 8.1 wall section. Most of what you see came from Revit's Detail Components Library. The remainder is Text notes and a few Detail Lines. Drawing details in Revit is fast and easy.

olson
2005-11-28, 06:31 AM
I played a little with using model lines in the section drawing then they show up in details. this seems to work. any thoughts.

blads
2005-11-28, 06:43 AM
I played a little with using model lines in the section drawing then they show up in details. this seems to work. any thoughts.
Model lines exist in 3D space and are visible in all views. If you want to draw lines that exist only in the view that they are drawn, use Detail Lines.

Detail lines are drawn in the views sketch plane. They can be used to detail a view with part of the model visible, such as in a wall section or callout, or they can be used in a drafting view to draft lines with no reference to the model. Some examples of detail lines in a drafting view are signage or typical details that have no reference to the model.

To use: select Drafting menu>Detail Lines or click Detail Lines from the Drafting tab of the Design Bar.

HTH

rsharp
2005-11-28, 06:37 PM
There should be a time at which you want the model geometry to refer to a strictly 2-d detail only. The reason for this is that at some point in time you will want to place this detail in a library and re-use it.

The best way to do that is working with a drafting view which is strictly 2-d geometry.

Drafting views can be cut and pasted from project to project, and soon I've heard that we will have an even better way to manage these.

So before you commit to using a live section or call-out to produce the detail ask yourself will I want to use this detail again and put into a library, if so go with a drafting view for the detail.

J. Grouchy
2005-11-28, 06:54 PM
Most folks probably add elements like studs as 2D detail componets. If you need to see it in a section, you add it once. If you need to see it in a detail, you add it again.

For many details, there's a disconnect between the section and the detail - it's just easier to draw a static 2D detail that can more clearly show flashing, building paper, etc. then trying to add such elements to a live section.

When I used AutoCAD, I used to show all the plates and headers in my section... now I don't bother unless it's 1/2" or larger. It's funny, but now I'm thinking why did I waste all that time putting them in my AutoCAD drawings... what was the point?

However, it's pretty easy to add model components, such as studs, to areas of a model that you'll be taking section and detail cuts through so that you don't have to add them as detail components multiple times.
I would agree with that...but I do put some detail in the sections that I will "flesh out" in the details. In this case I wait until I've added the appropriate amount of detail for my 1/2" scale sections, draw my callout, select all detail items (lines, repeating details, detail components, etc.) that will show up in the detail, then "paste aligned" in "current view" in the detail view. If I need to make any changes I work large-scale to small-scale...from the model to the section to the detail, following the same order as when it was originally drawn...following the same routine for drafting/copying/pasting.

I do agree that 2D drafting on top of the 3D model this way is a step away from BIM.

m_cahoon14336
2005-11-29, 02:06 AM
and soon I've heard that we will have an even better way to manage these.

So. What have you heard,and where have you heard it? More details please!

kshawks
2005-11-30, 02:02 PM
We also do fair amount of wood framed structures and we use the 2d detail components for large scale details. Typically these details are callouts of sections. It sounds slow; however it really is not. It goes rather quickly. I have found that I can produce a detail in half the time it took in Autocad.