PDA

View Full Version : Need'n help with a gable vent.

m_cahoon14336
2005-11-26, 01:39 AM
I have been working on this gable vent for a residential project I am working on. It works pretty good win placed in a brick and stud wall, except the vent "fins" move out of alignment. I cannot figure out how to keep them "locked" in position. Can anyone offer some help with this? After I have it working correctly, I will post it on the forum use. Thanks

blads
2005-11-26, 02:54 AM
All I did was to create a series of ref planes along the top edge of the "Fins" & locked the fin to ref plan... it seems to work (as I'm using v8.1 I've saved as galbe vent1.rfa - refer attached)

HTH

m_cahoon14336
2005-11-26, 04:09 AM
KingBlads, Thanks, you have certainly helped, but it's still not there yet. I have attached an image that may help to explain what I am trying to accomplish. Please take another look at it.
Thanks again!

iru69
2005-11-26, 04:31 AM
This really threw me through a loop... it can really be hard to figure out what's going on in someone else's family.

I think all that "pinning" is what's getting you into trouble. I unpinned a lot of stuff. It's sometimes hard to know when to use reference planes and when to use pins.

I created and locked a reference plane at the rear of the vent. I locked your front reference plane to the vent. I placed locked dimensions on the ref planes so that the vent would always be placed a consistent distance from the exterior face of wall. You could change this to a parameter so that you could control it if you wanted.

I created a group from the bottom louver and then aligned and locked it to the rear reference plane. I then created a group from the second to bottom louver and aligned and locked it to the reference plane. I then arrayed it to the top and aligned and locked the top louver to the rear reference plane.

HTH.

blads
2005-11-26, 04:31 AM
Something along these lines...???