PDA

View Full Version : 3d details

AP23
2005-11-29, 12:27 AM
Does anyone here make window families as detailed as the picture? I tried importing an autocad detail, but keep getting "invalid sketch" eventhough i got rid of the overlapping lines.

SkiSouth
2005-11-29, 03:04 AM
This type of detail is done in Revit automatically. Are you asking if someone has this type of family to post, or are you asking if this type of detail can be done? If asking on the 3d detail the link is here (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=11672). If you are asking how to build the family, then if you can post a section drawing of the window frame, someone can show you how to build a family like you have posted.

PeterJ
2005-11-29, 07:35 AM
To achieve what you see there you can follow Ski's link, but do be aware that you will not see the section make-up of the window frame unless you have actually modelled that degree of complexity in your family. Typically this level of detail would be viewed as an unnecessary modelling overhead as you would only normally need to see the alu extrusion in a 2D detail view, so it would be drafted locally or provided by a 2D detail family.

If you need to show the extrusion profile I suggest you create a family using an imported profile but do expect that level of complexity to bog your model down somewhat.

AP23
2005-11-29, 09:37 AM
I wanted to know if anyone models details to this degree of level even though it is unnecessary. why i ask this is because you can get DWG's from window or door manufacturers. So, instead of making new window or door families with a lower level of detail, you might as well import the correct dwg detail to be extruded. That way you have window or door that looks exactly the way manufactures would make. So when you're making callouts, you don't have to detail locally anymore because you have made a detailed family that functions in 2d as well as in 3d.

I though this would make life a bit easier, by just importing a dwg detail in sketch mode and finish sketch. However, this doesn't work at all, even though you clean it up and get rid of overlapping lines. So i guess the best workflow will be to make a low detail families and import DWG's locally when making call outs.

Raymond Ncube
2005-11-29, 11:08 AM
I wanted to know if anyone models details to this degree of level even though it is unnecessary. why i ask this is because you can get DWG's from window or door manufacturers....That way you have window or door that looks exactly the way manufactures would make.......

We have modelled some doors and windows using manufacturer's 2D detail. We model these doors and windows using sweeps.
Extrusions are a bit heavy on the model.

aggockel50321
2005-11-29, 12:25 PM
Does anyone here make window families as detailed as the picture? I tried importing an autocad detail, but keep getting "invalid sketch" eventhough i got rid of the overlapping lines.When you say you import the detail in sketch mode, what do you mean??

bowlingbrad
2005-11-29, 12:26 PM
The best way I've found in doing this is to make a detail component using the Autocad 2d detail and nest it in a simple sweep profile. Make this detail component visible only in fine display. All of your general sections and elevations should then be in either coarse or medium display.

I hope this gives you a starting point. I'm at AU right now and don't have access to a window I can post.

Brad

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-11-29, 12:53 PM
Brad is spot on with the 2D nested detail.
My work around is simple. We just don go to that level of detail. I feel you have to draw the line some where. You have to ask yourself, would you want to do this on a project that has over 800 windows. Unnecessary "Bloat"!!!
We do a simple outline of the profile. and notes, eg.

Note: All aluminium frames and extruded aluminium sections to comply with national specifications.
All details to manufactures specifications.
All Aluminium shopfronts are design and supply, tenderer to submit full detail shop drawings indicating sections, dimensions hardware and subframe details, as well as samples of the finishes. Refer all discrepancies to Architect before any work proceeds.

AP23
2005-11-29, 03:09 PM
This is the method i thought you guys used. I tried it myself, but I find myself spending more time cleaning the cad file up or tracing over the detail, than actually making the window. Plus like you guys said, it slows your computer.

I'm going to try out brad's method.

Lashers
2005-11-29, 03:18 PM
Does anyone here make window families as detailed as the picture? I tried importing an autocad detail, but keep getting "invalid sketch" eventhough i got rid of the overlapping lines.
Try linking the acad detail, tracing around the outside in sketch mode then after unlikk the acad detail. THis would mean that you can extrude the external "visible" framing to make the window. You can then import the detail to show up in the cut section if you want that level of detail to show up - suggent you only do this for 1:10 and up as it is not any use at the lower scales.
my 2p

david.kingham
2005-12-14, 08:46 PM
Any luck with this Pete? I'm trying to do the same 3d detail and I also get the invalid sketch, I've tried picking the lines, sketching them, even shutting off the snaps so I wouldn't be selecting the dwg at all, nothing works.

AP23
2005-12-14, 09:26 PM
No, not yet. The biggest problem is that dwg details most of the time have overlapping lines. Eventhough you get rid of them, you will (i have) still get the "invalid sketch". So the only way, i think it can be done is to either outline the imported dwg detail or for a more detailed 3d detail, you would have to draw the whole detail form scratch. So if it is a window I would probably import differents extruded parts of the window elements into one window family and then cut the detail in 3d view.

sbrown
2005-12-14, 09:37 PM
I recommend tracing the dwg, I've not had much luck with manufacturers details not being way too many lines.

Mr Spot
2005-12-14, 09:53 PM
We just make parametric detail components and embed them into the family. That way in a section they display all the detail your after, and there is no 3D overhead to bog down the model...

david.kingham
2005-12-14, 10:10 PM
I recommend tracing the dwg, I've not had much luck with manufacturers details not being way too many lines.
That's what I tried Scott, I chained the lines and traced over, I still get invalid sketch, I even dumbed it way down by getting rid of all the arcs

We just make parametric detail components and embed them into the family. That way in a section they display all the detail your after, and there is no 3D overhead to bog down the model...
We currently do this, but I want to create a virtual wall mock-up that shows all components fully detailed as Pete originally posted, this will not go throughout the model, just one window, or maybe even in a seperate file

Justin Marchiel
2005-12-14, 11:41 PM
while we are talking about 3d details, is there a way to show an exploded view?

Justin

sbrown
2005-12-15, 12:45 AM
David, if you have a closed loop I can't see why it would fail. I think you should send the detail and file to support, get there take on it. I've had issues with very tiny pieces not working. So for your mock up wall what is the smallest thing you want to show?

As for the exploded view, you need to set your isometric view, so go to 3d view, click orient, choose the view you want first, say first floor plan, then orient again to an isometric, ie north west. now adjust scope box as needed. now duplicate this view and repeat for each floor and elevation(either just stretch the section box or use the orient tools. then place the views on a sheet and they will snap in alignment.

david.kingham
2005-12-15, 02:28 AM
Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is...

For the exploded view you can export to a 3d dwf and move the individual objects around easily

JTF
2005-12-15, 04:12 AM
I have been finding myself more and more downloading DWG files of 3D details from applications such as stucco and roofing or any other details I require and importing them into detail views of Revit.

I like the 3D details which are already annotated and drawn.

I just plaster the detail with "Use such and such detail or approved equal"

sbrown
2005-12-15, 02:24 PM
JTF, I'd love to see that site, can you point me to it?

JTF
2005-12-15, 02:29 PM
JTF, I'd love to see that site, can you point me to it?http://www.stocorp.com/allweb.nsf/stuccosystem this is for sto stucco.

http://www.bakor.com/ this is for the roofing.

Both have excellent dwg details.

I know the sto site has 3d details have not search much for 3d on the roofing site but lots of detail just the same.