PDA

View Full Version : PDF Tiling

BillyGrey
2005-12-01, 09:46 PM
Has anyone experienced PDF output tiling in Revit, esp. on full sheet views with shadows on? If so, any suggestions on how to keep this from happening?

I know Revit does not want to play with Adobe, but I also know that this interaction is inevitable. I just spent 20+ minutes watching the hourglass on a sheet view a client
specifically requested to be output in PDF, only to see it finish tiled and distorted.

This is a common problem I have experienced with Revit and PDF, and I have tried
all the freebie (or nearly) proggies, but now I have acrobat pro 7. They all exhibit this behavior, and I only get it in Revit. I have also tried re-arranging the various views on the sheet, but can't trick it into doing it right.

TIA

Bill

BillyGrey
2005-12-01, 09:54 PM
I just found this thread. Looks pretty comprehensive:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=22025

Any other success stories regarding this issue will be gladly attended to by me, and a heap of thank you's allotted in your name.

GuyR
2005-12-01, 10:32 PM
Have you tried different postscript drivers? I'm having no trouble and impressive size reduction results using ghostscript 8.1, redmon and the HP1055 ps driver. Shadows, captured renderings the works. All working well.

Guy

janunson
2005-12-02, 02:10 AM
We've been using Nitro PDF as a substitute for Acrobat ($50/seat instead of $300) and printing to it from Revit has been working very well so far.

BillyGrey
2005-12-02, 07:18 PM
Thanks Guy, Janunson,

I d/l'd a copy of ghostwriter and redmon, but realized that it would take some doing to understand and implement those. I'll sure look into them, but needed a quick fix as I had a deadline yesterday.
Nitro PDF actually worked where others had failed. Nice proggie Janunson.

My only gripe with all print to PDF's at this point is the time it takes me to get an E1
shadowed elevation to print. I wonder if ghostwriter improves this process?
Also, I remember a thread in which Aaron R. detailed a procedure for various drivers to be used with Distiller. I wonder how responsive that system is as well.

Feedback is good, keep it coming.

*And* Thanks again guys.

GuyR
2005-12-02, 07:54 PM
Are you sure the speed printing to pdf is any slower than to any other printer? Are you sure it's not CPU that is the bottleneck with shaded views?

Guy

BillyGrey
2005-12-02, 11:35 PM
3 ghz pent. here, only a gig of ram.
The file prolly took 10 min.'s to process.
Here is the pdf if you want to take a look.
It weighs in at 840K.

Thanks Guy.