PDA

View Full Version : Store Front - horizontal window pattern?

jond
2005-12-02, 01:58 AM
Hello,
This is my first post here. I am a recovering ADT 05-06 addict.

I am using storefront windows to simulate toro windows in a large condo. I want to have two horizontal mullions - one at 18" and one at 7'. I only see a box for one spacing within the window - like one mullion every 7'. I'd like to have two...

how do I do this?

Thanks in advance!

janunson
2005-12-02, 02:05 AM
Don't define the spacing in the walltype, instead draw the wall with the vertical pattern and no horizontals, then add curtain grids manually from the Modeling tab of the design bar. Since these aren't based on a rule in the walltype, you can move them to wherever you like. They'll then accept a mullion just like other gridlines.. the mullion tool is right next door on the 3D tab.

jond
2005-12-02, 05:03 PM
I dont know if this will do it for me.....

What happens when the mullions change? I have to update all of the facades by hand?

janunson
2005-12-03, 02:53 AM
what changes? vertical spacing, or mullion construction?
You can define the mullion type in the wall type w/out specifying the spacing...

Or if using 8.1 you could define a spacing of 66" with an 18" offset for the horizontals...as long as the storefront glass isn't higher than 12'-8"

Or you could do like my original suggestion, but lock the gridlines to levels - then just change the level heights to adjust all spacings in the model.

knurrebusk
2005-12-03, 03:32 AM
I dont know if this will do it for me.....

What happens when the mullions change? I have to update all of the facades by hand?

I´m getting a reputation for incoherent statements!
So moving a grid/placing the following mullions is freedom, same with profiles.
You can do what ever you feel regarding angeled glass in Revit.

You will not find anything like Revit if you enjoy glass, curved is into the future.
Anything else is possible

Revit will do Glass Facades better than anything out there I think.

Then again! I´m perhaps a very stupid person.

jond
2005-12-12, 04:52 PM
what changes? vertical spacing, or mullion construction?
You can define the mullion type in the wall type w/out specifying the spacing...

Or if using 8.1 you could define a spacing of 66" with an 18" offset for the horizontals...as long as the storefront glass isn't higher than 12'-8"

Or you could do like my original suggestion, but lock the gridlines to levels - then just change the level heights to adjust all spacings in the model.

I'm more concerned with the horizontal mullions and panels - both at the slab edge and in the window frames changing from time to time. Your suggestion of using the 66" w/a 18" offset is a good idea - but I dont see this as a property for the storefront that I'm using. Is it possible to have a mullion in the storefront at 7' and 1'6", because currently I only see spacing for one with no offset.

Also, the storefronts appear to be cleaning up with normal walls which throws off the even vertical spacing.

Thanks for any help!

ejburrell67787
2005-12-12, 05:14 PM
Is it possible to have a mullion in the storefront at 7' and 1'6", because currently I only see spacing for one with no offset.
If you do as suggested in an earlier reply:

Don't define the spacing in the walltype, instead draw the wall with the vertical pattern and no horizontals, then add curtain grids manually from the Modeling tab of the design bar. Since these aren't based on a rule in the walltype, you can move them to wherever you like. They'll then accept a mullion just like other gridlines.. the mullion tool is right next door on the 3D tab.
All you have to do is place a dimension between the curtain grids and set the spacing to 7' and 1'6" as you wish and lock the dimensions. Then whatever happens to the walls / floors etc around, these curtain grids (and hence mullions) will stay where you put them. If you don't want to see the dimensions you can delete them and leave the constraining aspect of them in place.

If this isn't making much sense to you I highly recommend you do the tutorials that come with Revit (see help menu) as they should set you on the right track and help you shake any habits / methods of working you have carried over from your old software. ;)

janunson
2005-12-12, 05:16 PM
The offset is an instance property, you just set 66" in the walltype for spacing, then after drawing the wall, get it's properties and enter the offset.

Sometimes i have wall-length problems like that because of the join too... Personally i find the most reliable technique is to add a reference plane in plan where you want the end of wall to be, then lock the curtain wall and regular walls endpoints to the reference plan w/ the align tool.

ejburrell67787
2005-12-12, 05:24 PM
Sometimes i have wall-length problems like that because of the join too... Personally i find the most reliable technique is to add a reference plane in plan where you want the end of wall to be, then lock the curtain wall and regular walls endpoints to the reference plan w/ the align tool.
I tend to set the curtain walls to "disallow join" to avoid any strange wall join behaviour and lock them to a reference plane also. Maybe the new insert curtain wall in 8.1 has made this more reliable but I haven't had to make curtain walls since 8.1 to test it.

janunson
2005-12-12, 05:47 PM
8.1 has the same problems... the enbedded curtain wall works fine in a single wall, but at T or L or Y joins, you loose control again and have to go back to reference planes.