PDA

View Full Version : Shadows on Adjoining Buildings

funkman
2005-12-02, 04:42 AM
Now it might be just me or Friday afternoon jitters.

I am doing a shadow analysis on an adjoining building to see the impacts on my proposed design. This should be simple. However, I set a section (or elevation as the case may be) - and the proposed building's shadow is not showing. Not even the existing building's shadow is visible in elevation. It is visible in 3D.

What's going on here? I know there is a shadow - the 3d view tells me so - but it doesn't show on the elevation of the building - supposedly because the propsoed is behind the section line. BUT the building is still there, isn't it? All phases are correct and settings for shadows are correct.

Any ideas?

beegee
2005-12-02, 08:42 AM
Try using a 3D view with shadows then orient to the elevation view.

funkman
2005-12-02, 10:07 AM
Yes I tried that already but no dice. Any other ideas?

Beegee, can you get that to work even if the wall casting the shadow is behind the section line (the section line being between the two walls)

eddy.lermytte
2005-12-02, 11:47 AM
I remember that I once placed a camera, perspective unchecked, hooked on a ref. plane in a situation similar to yours. At the time I got shadows from behind , although weird looking, so I abandoned that set up not having the time to look what was going on then.

Max Lloyd
2005-12-02, 01:20 PM
check out this (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2840&highlight=shadow) thread. Not sure if it is still the solution in the latest version of revit and may only be applicable to renderings. Might give you some tips though.

funkman
2005-12-04, 03:07 AM
this is not good....eddy thanks for your suggestion - this gets close - although the shadow is very weird - all blotchy in fact - see attached but good enough only to use filled regions. Max I saw that thread already but thanks anyway, I don't think this can work anymore.

Factory, this should really be fixed.

jamesd10181097
2005-12-04, 08:42 AM
well this reply might be too late for you but you might want to check what the sun & shadow settings for the elevation view is set to. the sun & shadow settings can be set up as a global setting, meaning that all views use the same settings, or each individual view can have different setting. This can come in handy sometimes if you want to do a series of renderings of elevations you do not have to have some of them entirely in shadow.

funkman
2005-12-04, 11:35 PM
James, thanks but that's not it.

mmodernc
2005-12-05, 08:03 AM
Sounds like it ain't fixed yet. I still use AccuRender for shadows on neighbours walls. These are the sort of fixes we need to get Revit out of the 70/30 rule. BTW these AMGs are too slow.
What do you need in terms of hardware to make them work faster-especially when you have several elevations on one sheet?
Fix it Freddy, fix it.