PDA

View Full Version : Window Schedule for Curtain Walls

matt.98118
2005-12-02, 06:11 PM
I created this elevation using Curtain Walls with rectangular mullions. Is it possible to create a window schedule for these "windows" (which the model recognizes as curtain walls)?

Any tips?

Allen Lacy
2005-12-02, 06:52 PM
One option would be to change the glazed panels to any wall type that you wish, then insert windows that are the same size as the panels in the "wall panels". Then you can schedule the windows.

E-Key
2005-12-02, 07:18 PM
For each type of curtain wall you use as a "window" type a word "Window" in Description field of the curtain wall type parameters. Then create a schedule, add the field you want, don't forget Description field, and filter the schedule by the "Window" of the Description field.
Hope it will help.

brd
2005-12-02, 11:21 PM
I've had this same question for a while now. While at AU, I asked the question to one presenter and the answer was a little bit over my head. He mentioned that it is possible to change the way the curtain wall is categorized in the schedules so that it reads as a window. Could anyone expand on this point? Or is that exactly what "ekurbatov" was describing? Also, in my project, we're using exclusively storefront systems and do not have any traditional "windows". I've already created a wall schedule and filtered out all non-curtain walls. Could I just use this as my window schedule in this situation?

hand471037
2005-12-05, 04:01 PM
I've had this same question for a while now. While at AU, I asked the question to one presenter and the answer was a little bit over my head. He mentioned that it is possible to change the way the curtain wall is categorized in the schedules so that it reads as a window. Could anyone expand on this point? Or is that exactly what "ekurbatov" was describing? Also, in my project, we're using exclusively storefront systems and do not have any traditional "windows". I've already created a wall schedule and filtered out all non-curtain walls. Could I just use this as my window schedule in this situation?

Everything in Revit has a category that it belongs to, and the Schedules are just a list of a certain categories' families and information. Curtain Wall panels & mullions, the bits within your curtain walls, have their own categories. If you make custom Curtain Wall Panels, you can put them into the Window category instead if you want too. Then those parts can report as Windows instead when it comes to schedules.

However, if you want an entire bit of curtain wall to report as a window (as opposed to a single panel within a curtain wall) that gets more complex. In that case I usually just use a Multi-Category schedule and apply filters so that it only lists the Windows and the Curtain Walls...

mcuevas
2005-12-05, 06:39 PM
Jeffrey is correct, all you have to do to schedule a curtain wall panel as a window is to create the family using the correct template, in this case - File --> New ----> Family ---> Window - Curtain Wall.rft

Again this would schedule just that one panel as a window and not the whole curtain wall assembly.

hand471037
2005-12-05, 06:43 PM
You can also open up an existing Curtain Panel Family, do a Save As to a new file, and then go to Settings -> Family Category and Parameters, and then set it to be a Window instead. That's how you set the Category after the fact, or how you, say, make a roof-hosted element into a Window... i.e. a Skylight...

brd
2005-12-05, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Jeffrey I think you were the one I asked at the conference, so thanks again.

sbrown
2005-12-05, 09:59 PM
You can do a multicategory schedule and include some sort of parameter to filter by.

dirk.cilliers
2005-12-06, 02:20 PM
Hi Jeffrey

I did as you suggested, saved a existing curtain wall panel as new file, and then try to set family category as window. This option was not available, only curtain wall panel, what am i doing wrong?

J. Grouchy
2005-12-06, 03:36 PM
The thing that drives me nuts is that any new Multi-category tag that I create and load becomes the default tag for everything instead of the "<By Category>" tag...