PDA

View Full Version : Project template throughout the versions

patricks
2005-12-02, 07:11 PM
We have a project template at our office that has been opened in each new version of Revit and then re-saved each time. Now I've heard of people having problems with 8.1 on files that were created with previous versions of Revit. Would loading our template and starting a new project in that constitute a "project upgraded from a previous version" right from the get-go? Let me know your thoughts.

Mr Spot
2005-12-02, 09:19 PM
When a new version comes out and your template is upgraded, not everything is upgraded - some items preserve old behaviour until they're duplicated etc...

Our general method is with every major release or 2 (not point releases) we recreate out template from scratch..

So to answer your question... Hmm, yes and no. :) Items like stairs/railings etc may preserve some old behaviour until they are duplicated..

HTH.

rod.74246
2005-12-07, 10:51 AM
We too ran into some trouble with template files after a couple of releases. I think its a good idea to recreate these every version or two. Especially considering a corruption in the template file will cause you a fair bit of havoc.

cphubb
2005-12-07, 06:47 PM
I agree it is good to recreate your template for most if not all releases

We start with the Revit commercial that ships with the version and delete anything we don't want and then use transfer project standards to bring many of our items in. We have run into the following items that do not upgrade well

Stairs
Walls with compound vertical layers
Slabs and roofs with edges
Curtain walls and systems
Structural with the 6.1 - 8.0/81 upgrade

If you transfer these items from your old template you will lose the new functionality of the upgraded items.