PDA

View Full Version : Lineweights in Elevations

Sweetshelby
2004-03-17, 01:40 PM
I would like to know how people are dealing with their Elevation Lineweights? Are you using the lineweight tool and changing the properties of an object or are you drawing over an elevation with linetypes.

We have done it both ways in our office and have run into problems with both. A big problem with just drawing lines is that if something moves the line does not move with it.

We would really like to find out what has been working for other firms.

Thank you,

PeterJ
2004-03-17, 01:58 PM
I try and work with the stock lineweights so as to avoid any over-working. It's not always possible though, if things need emphasis I do it using the lineweight tool.

mlgatzke
2004-03-17, 02:02 PM
I always use the Linework tool because it allows me to change the lineweight AND the line will move if the model changes. The ONLY time I don't use the Linework tool is if something is being cut through. Then I use Detail Lines so I can control the lenghts of the modified line segments.

Archman
2004-03-17, 02:56 PM
I use subcategories extensively to get the lineweight flexibility I need. I also override the lineweight settings in visibility/graphics to get close to what i want to see. Then I use the linework tool to tweak any areas that these tow methods don't cover. Seems to work fairly well.

I try to use the linework tool as little as possible, though, because if you delete an element and replace it (rather than just modifying the original element) you will lose the linework associated with that element. I suppose it may be bad modelling practice to delete and rebuild, but I find that in some cases it is easier than modifying what is already there.

I would like to reemphasize my (and many others) wish of more automated lineweights for elevations and sections based on the distance from the cut plane.

RobinBallew
2004-03-17, 03:13 PM
I always use object styles. Never line work. I have had no problems getting the look I want with just object styles. Once they are set you don't have to worry about having a consistent look.

sbrown
2004-03-17, 04:05 PM
Like Robin, I start with overrides in the view visibiliy/graphics box. ie, wall projection bump up to 4 or 5, roof the same, then window trim, door, etc. then save as view template. this gets a decent "base" then the line work tool, except on heavily profiled edges, these I trace, then I can mirror and copy around. Much easier than the linework tool. But as you know you have to fix these if you make a change. I try to do elevation clean up absolutely last.

studioCJF
2004-03-17, 06:33 PM
I too have been struggling with lineweights. Would any one care to post their lineweight settings that they think work particularly well. It would be a great help for me since I don't print in-house and sending test plots back and forth to my printer takes time and costs money.

Thanks again.

Clark

Sweetshelby
2004-03-18, 01:29 PM
Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.

One more thing. Do most of you use the lineweights set up with Revit or did you create some of your own?

We have set up our own to get as close to what we used in AutoCAD but I sometimes think this might not be the best way to go. What works for you?