PDA

View Full Version : Steel angle problems

Tom Weir
2005-12-06, 07:28 PM
Hi all,
I am trying to create a small awning using steel angles. Problem is the steel angle family does not work well. When you draw the angle the horizontal leg is always on the top. I can't seem to rotate the angle or do anything to get the horizontal leg on the bottom.

Anybody got any clues or workaround that would allow me to do that?

Thanks,

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

jrichardson
2005-12-07, 02:14 AM
I am assuming that you are using the L-angle family that came with Revit and are placing it through the beam tool. After doing this In the angle proprieties under the "Angle" parameter I was able to change the angle from 0 to 90,180, 270. I think this is the result you are looking for. In the past I had a small canopy that was hanging off the side of a retail. I modeled it all up in a separate family with extrusions. It consisted of vertical tubes with metal stud infill and horizontal tubes for the canopy and angles for deck supports. My plan work was shown double lined for this element. Worked pretty well and told the whole story and then some for the finished product.

Tom Weir
2005-12-07, 03:33 PM
Hi,
When I use the angle parameter it fails to rotate the angle such that the horizontal leg is on the bottom.
Maybe my angle family has gone bonkers...
Can you post yours for me to try.

Thanks...

Tom

James.Lupton
2005-12-07, 11:15 PM
Tom

I think this is a general problem.

What we really need are flip controls in a cross sectional view so that we can flip asymmetric sections such as L's C's Z's etc both horizontally and vertically

The member rotation should really be for example to set the member at 45 degrees to the horizontal.

Currently you will need to create a family with the opposite hand to the system family and then use the left handed or right handed member as appropriate.

jrichardson
2005-12-08, 03:00 AM
I agree, additional flip controls would be nice. Currently you should have a flip control in plan view for these familys, which gives you some flexibility, but I don't believe the controls exist when in section.

Tom Weir
2005-12-08, 05:16 PM
Jamie sent me his L-angle family file and it worked for me, that is I could rotate it 180 degrees then flip it. Though like he says I could not flip it in section.

Seems like it is acting inconsistently....hhmmmm.

Tom