PDA

View Full Version : Roof By Extrusion

dsw98
2005-12-07, 10:23 PM
I've created a Roof by extrusion so that it has a french swoop at the tail ends. But is it possible to put a hip on all 4 sides of this roof once it's been created?

mmodernc
2005-12-08, 05:45 AM
please post diagramme

Mark Vorstenbosch
2005-12-08, 09:17 AM
Hi

Is this what you mean?

dsw98
2005-12-08, 02:53 PM
Here is what I have, Notice how the tails of the roof slope, But if you go to the left elevation you'll notice I added some lines to represent the pitch of the roof that I want it to be. And then I want to be able to have that swoop on all 4 sides. But I also need the pitch from front to back to be different as left to right, Is this possible?

ejburrell67787
2005-12-08, 03:11 PM
Here is what I have, Notice how the tails of the roof slope, But if you go to the left elevation you'll notice I added some lines to represent the pitch of the roof that I want it to be. And then I want to be able to have that swoop on all 4 sides. But I also need the pitch from front to back to be different as left to right, Is this possible?
I had a quick look. I think the quickest way would be to model the main roof by footprint and then make two seperate roofs by extrusion to get the curved up eaves and use join geometry to make them all join up.

dsw98
2005-12-08, 03:19 PM
I had a quick look. I think the quickest way would be to model the main roof by footprint and then make two seperate roofs by extrusion to get the curved up eaves and use join geometry to make them all join up.

I tried this but it won't work. The straight part of the roof that needs to curve stays there and is visible even after joining gemoetry.

Rhythmick
2005-12-08, 03:29 PM
I havn't dabbled with massing myself, but I'm thinking that may be a solution by massing and using roof by face.

ejburrell67787
2005-12-08, 03:49 PM
A did a couple of quick roofs that look similar to your sketch... but having re-read your requirements they might not be it still...!

Remember that you can remove the join line between the straight and curved bits of roof using the linework tool set to invisible.

dsw98
2005-12-08, 04:01 PM
A did a couple of quick roofs that look similar to your sketch... but having re-read your requirements they might not be it still...!

Remember that you can remove the join line between the straight and curved bits of roof using the linework tool set to invisible.

I can't seem to view your attachments.

ejburrell67787
2005-12-08, 04:03 PM
I can't seem to view your attachments.
You might need to download them and then open them in a dwf viewer, there seems to be some problem with opening dwf files directly.

dsw98
2005-12-08, 04:12 PM
Okay I got it to open. That's probably heading in the right direction. I'll give that a shot next. The one problem could be the different pitch lines and trying to get the eaves to be at the same height.

Steve_Stafford
2005-12-08, 04:12 PM
The attached was done with massing first, swept the curvy part and extrude a cap and used a void to cut off some excess. The applied the roof to face.

The liability of using massing for curvy forms and roofs is that Revit will not display a surface pattern.

dsw98
2005-12-08, 04:26 PM
The attached was done with massing first, swept the curvy part and extrude a cap and used a void to cut off some excess. The applied the roof to face.

The liability of using massing for curvy forms and roofs is that Revit will not display a surface pattern.

Does that massing act as a true roof? But I have a test mass going on and I was able to add a surface pattern to it. But it does't have the curves added yet.

ejburrell67787
2005-12-08, 04:28 PM
Ok I did it by mass also for fun... first extruded a block then extruded 2 voids (ie the 2 different elevations) which allows the pitch to be different as you wish, then picked roof by face...

ejburrell67787
2005-12-08, 04:29 PM
Does that massing act as a true roof? But I have a test mass going on and I was able to add a surface pattern to it. But it does't have the curves added yet.
Use the 'Roof by Face' tool under massing - then the roof that gets produced is actually a roof, not a massing element.

dsw98
2005-12-08, 04:36 PM
Okay I have alot to digest now. I'm gonna give those all a shot and see which is easier, But I think I've got what I'm gonna need. Gotta love the Augi Forum, Thanks guys.

dsw98
2005-12-08, 07:15 PM
Okay I have alot to digest now. I'm gonna give those all a shot and see which is easier, But I think I've got what I'm gonna need. Gotta love the Augi Forum, Thanks guys.

Okay I have the look I wanted. It was easier to use the Mass option. Doing it the other was possible, but I coudln't figure out how to connect the swooped roof at the corners. I'm gonna post the end result once I get it done so everyone can what my mind was thinking :-)

dsw98
2005-12-09, 07:34 PM
Okay here is my finished Model. I still have some things to finish on the Elevations, but here are the swoops in action. Thanks again for all the Help.