PDA

View Full Version : massing objects

Justin Marchiel
2005-12-08, 04:29 PM
Coming form adt i am trying to break my adt thinking and get into revit but i have the following problem. In adt if i wanted to create a concrete column (not just vertical) i would create a mass element and boolean add, cut, trim etc. than apply a concrete material to the mass element.

I think i am confusing the tools and not using them the way revit intends. see screen shot. I have massed my column and would now like to make it "real". would i have been better off making an actual column, or is there a way to make this mass completely solid? I understand making walls by faces, but it would add them on top.

Thanks

Justin

ejburrell67787
2005-12-08, 04:34 PM
Slightly confusing the tools!

Create an in-place family and set it to be a column. See the 'create' button at the bottom of the modelling tab.

...Or if you want it to be parametric and might be making several of them, make a new family in the family editor and then load it into the project.

Justin Marchiel
2005-12-08, 04:55 PM
Great thanks. After i finished the mass i realized that something was not right. I know that just because the tools are named the same they dont do the same thing. I am slowly learning the powers of the dark side and coming over the REVIT.

Thanks for the help

Justin

Steve_Stafford
2005-12-08, 05:09 PM
I've always felt that "massing" in ADT refers to the physical properties of objects as in a square mass whereas I've always thought of Revit using the term in conjunction with studying the massing of buildings. Maybe little difference except that if you say the term massing to an architect who never used computers they still know what you mean. So Revit's massing features are consistent with the architectural context of the term.

Joef
2005-12-08, 05:31 PM
I always make elements that I intend to re-use as a family using the family editor rather than an in-place family. Elements created in the family editor do not have to be parametric, thought they can be if you want.

Joe

sbrown
2005-12-08, 06:58 PM
In revit, if you want to make a wall, click wall, if you want to make a column, click column. Now if you want to make a custom column, click file>new>family> select the column template. So in revit always try to look for the literal tool.