PDA

View Full Version : Stacked Wall Cleanup

Randall Temple
2005-12-08, 08:30 PM
I'm having a cleanup problem between stacked walls with similar components at different elevations. Our projects frequently include a brick wainscot of varying heights. In right-angle corners, it's not too much of a problem, but at other angles of intersection I get some really strange results (see attachment.)

I've looked at component priorities in the wall assemblies, and those seem to be correct. Am I going about this the right way, or am I just butting up against the limits of the software?

On a possibly related note, we've also had situations where the finish material of a lower Basic Wall in the stack is projected onto the uppermost Basic Wall. Often this is accompanied by cleanup problems at the other ends of adjacent walls. It sometimes occurs when attaching the wall to the roof (it's not an issue of the top of the attached wall being below the defined height of a component wall, as described elsewhere in this forum.) Other times it occurs without attaching the wall to the roof, but resolves if the roof is deleted. The only solution we've found is to delete and redraw the offending wall. Sorry I don't have an example of this one.

Any insights would be more than welcome.

tamas
2005-12-08, 10:11 PM
You have a few places where the subwalls of the two joined stacked walls are "interleaved". This is usually a difficult case for Revit to handle as butt joins.

I could make it work by using the Edit Wall Joins tool and change the joins to miter.
There were still a few black lines, so I used the Join Geometry between the two stacked walls that showed the problem. See first attached file.

As another approach, you could structure your two stacked wall type to avoid this "interleave" situation by splitting your 22' section into a 1' base and a 21' top to match the 1' base on the neighboring wall. See second attached file.

Tamas

Randall Temple
2005-12-08, 10:35 PM
I just talked to a colleague at another firm who has a bit more Revit experience than I. He suggested breaking up the stacked walls in complex situations, as he claims to have few problems with manually stacked Basic Walls. I'm trying that now.

After posting, I noticed that my attachment includes an attempt at something like your last suggestion. I made the high-brick component a supplement to the low-brick component, but then I had to create another component wall with the low-brick cap to exclude it from the high-brick wall. Your suggestion would have me make yet another component wall of the same height but without the cap. I would think that added more components to the stack would lead to more problems. And this would be at least as cumbersome as making all the brick with sweeps, which I've tried. I'll try the manual stacking, and see where that gets me.

I tried the mitered joins, but that left mitered ends where the brick ends at a corner. You mention join geometry. Can I join component walls in the stack by tabbing through the selection?

I didn't see your attached file 1. I'll take a look if you edit it in.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know what I find.

Randall

tamas
2005-12-09, 12:43 AM
Finally managed to upload attachments. See above.

Tamas

Randall Temple
2005-12-09, 02:58 PM
Tamas,

Thanks again for your help. By attaching my flashing sweep to the bottom of the EIFS, rather than the top of the brick, I was able to eliminate a few of the sub-walls and still create horizontal continuity. It cleans up very nicely now. It's still something of a hassle, but not a bad as I had feared.

Thanks,

Randall