PDA

View Full Version : Brick Return at Curtain Wall Jamb

dnilsson
2005-12-09, 07:23 PM
I am trying to get my brick return at curtain wall openings to behave like the door returns do when a door is inserted. It seems like Revit understands that a door or window is an insert for wrapping purposes, but not an embedded curtain wall. The attached image illustrates my problem. The top example uses an embedded curtain wall. The bottom one uses an opening with the curtain wall inside of it.

The jamb at these locations is treated as a wall end, and there is no "Both" option for wrapping at the ends. What am I missing here?

In an effort to save what's left of my self esteem, I won't post the picture of what happens when this slips through and winds up in the contractors hands. :Oops:

aggockel50321
2005-12-09, 08:12 PM
I know it's a work-around, but I know of no other way.

Using a single brick wall, with the location line set to exterior & exterior end wrap, draw a short piece of brick wall from the exterior corner of the existing compound wall to the compound's wall centerline. Then use the join geometry tool on the two pieces of walls.

dnilsson
2005-12-09, 08:51 PM
With judicious use of Edit Cut Profile tool, I am able to get what I'm after in plan, it's just more work than I'd care to do when there are 20 or 30 of these conditions. So I made an empty window family that simply cuts the opening, placed that and drew the curtain wall into that opening. I added a parameter to control the return depth and it works nicely. A few more steps, but not too bad. Plus I can schedule the curtain wall assembly as a window if I want to.

patricks
2005-12-09, 08:55 PM
eh it's not such a big deal for us, since we always have a detail for the curtain wall jamb at brick condition that shows the brick returning to the wall, and large scale details always overrule small-scale plans as far as how it is to be built.

dnilsson
2005-12-09, 09:03 PM
So do we. Unfortunately, the masons didn't bother to look at the details, they just followed the 1/8" plans. This is one of the few instances where ADT has a tool to handle the problem (endcaps) and Revit really doesn't.

archjake
2005-12-09, 09:38 PM
has anyone tried to make a generic wall hosted family for this? Could have a parametric hight and a parameter for the material...

sbrown
2005-12-09, 10:24 PM
how about a column family 3 - 5/8" deep and 8" long.

bmartin368531
2013-04-02, 09:24 PM
Dnilsson, I'm trying to get my doors and windows to look exactly like yours do in the original post on this thread. Not the CW, just the regular doors/windows. Where the brick automatically returns to the CMU. How do you get it to do that? Is the brick in your example a separate wall from the air space and CMU, or all one? Mine is all one assembly. Thanks!!!

Dimitri Harvalias
2013-04-03, 06:14 AM
Welcome to the forums.
Check out this thread along with Wall Closure Plane in the wiki help.
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?133720-Wall-wrapping-problem

Millawi
2013-04-03, 12:42 PM
Instead of cutting the curtain wall and wall geometries, you could create a wall opening equal to the curtain wall and use "Wrapping at Ends: Exterior".