PDA

View Full Version : UK Content

rhys
2004-03-19, 11:24 AM
There seems to be a lot of new UK content in the 6.1 library doors, windows, profiles and detail components -thanks Revit Still no but no UK sanitaryware though - Revit must have found the Revit solid/void modeller as difficult to use as I do. Must try out the enhanced modelling in 6.1 soon. Content is King

rhys
2004-03-19, 11:35 AM
The doors and window even have cavity closers and offset controls. Now all that need to to be added is the 10mm tolerance and Martins nested detail profiles and we have at long last almost fullu detailed window and door openings. I want more.

Martin P
2004-03-19, 12:49 PM
Hi Rhys... here are some sanitary families I use, all 2D drafting lines, but the look good on a plan. The armitage shakns site it brilliant for getting dwg files of all their stuff

http://www2.zestmedia.com/bluebook/

i pick the main menu part in the upper left of the screen, it all drops down, if you pick a specific product you get the details and dwg files - if you pick the category you get to browse them all. They convert to 2D families easily if explode them and then group them :D - otherwise mirroring can have weird effects..

PeterJ
2004-03-19, 01:46 PM
We don't like to ship things that may give the user unexpected errors.

I have had a quick look following your rapturous review, Rhys. There is definitely some excellent stuff here but two things need looking at.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1804

Firstly, in the light of David's words, above someone needs a slapped wrist. The door you see here is the UK_IntSgl Dom 6 Pnl and I have flexed the wall and one or two other elements of the 910 x 2110 type. Obviously it's a little broke as the architrave doesn't follow the wall and the stop seems to jump around in space. Also it would be excellent to be able to specify architrave size, which is not currently possible. Time to start playing with the stock family I suppose.

Secondly, and this has been a gripe for a while, we are offered this fantastically well put together window, where everything in the model has bee thougth through in exquisite detail (hands up whoever modelled it and tell us how long it took) but because of a modelling anomaly within Revit when you wrap the interior finish of the wall it still wraps inside the structural opening so that in this stock wall there is an apparent variation between the opening sizes of the inner and outer leafs. I am sure this issue is not just UK specific, it should relate to most areas where a lot of masonry construction takes place and so windows and other openings are not trimmed. While ranting it occurs to me that using a void, with a stagger in the jamb, instead of an opening cut will overcome this with a little trickery but it is still something of a pain. Can the modeller not be given this intelligence or these excellent new windows not be made that one bit more excellent?

rhys
2004-03-19, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the upload Martin.
Peter you're right the internal doors architraves don't work over 140mm wall thickness - in this situation I'd be using a frame not a lining so Revit are forgiven just a bit.
So far as your plaster return comment is concerned check out the external doors and widows they have a Scottish option for the outer leaf perhaps the same could be done with the internal plaster. Keep the content coming Revit , I like it anyway :wink:

David Conant
2004-03-19, 07:32 PM
Please notice that I said "We don't like to ship" not "we never ship". :) With the number of families we ship, the number of types and variations, and the range of uses, it is nearly impossible to assure 100% proper function under all circumstances. If you find specific problems with families, please post them.

PeterJ
2004-03-19, 07:52 PM
David, you set yourself up that's all. The work being done to improve content is excellent and I think the odd glitch is easily enough forgiven.

Rhys, there are circumstances where we would use a liner even in a very thick wall, for example some Georgian buildings where we link terraced houses at basement or ground floor might have walls 440 thick, nominal, but to work with the surrounding detail it is better to use a lining. HOwever, you are right, this is the exception rather than the rule.

rhys
2004-03-19, 10:11 PM
Martin I've looked at the sanitary families they are useful thanks. What I've tried to do before is to add additional dwg elevations to the families so once placed the WHB or whatever appears in the bathroom elevation.
I've not suceeded in doing this, properly. I usually produce wall tiles as a thin second wall but I can't seem to get the visibilities to work properly. Hence my attempts a few weeks ago to produce a real UK 3d modeled WHB and WC. (Portman Basin works oK and posted on RUGI. ) But takes a long time when only elevations and plans are really needed.

rhys
2004-03-19, 11:49 PM
Peter
Your correct plaster line can be achieved with the new Revit UK windows.
But Revit please note they needed fixing.
1.The Scots reveal is the clue Two voids. I adjusted the inner one to give a plaster thickness
2.The symbolic lines were not correctly locked to the back of the window reference.
3.The Internal wrap dimension needed to be made an instance parameter
Thats just so you can put the thing in thick wall!
The various parameters need adjusting to suit the kind of wall its inserted into. But it seems quite flexible.
As long as the outer wall is 103 mm brickwork that is, I broke it with a thicker external leaf!
Also need to set the wraping to interior.