PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Link "Content Center"!

Cosmic Traveller
2005-12-09, 07:54 PM
Sorry if this "double posts" as it never displayed the first time!
HI! Can someone "Please" help me figure out a way to properly link my content center files to my current project! We had to re-format our hardrive & re-intstall! I am having this "Resolve Link" dialogue come up to each of around 40 or more "nuts bolts etc."! I have tried setting up a path in the "libraries" as well as "folder options" & it still wants to look in C:\Docs & sett's\username\inventor\content center! There must be a way to replace this particular search path in the resolve link so these content center files will be found globally & automatically! Even our Autodesk Service Rep is stumped on this one!
Appreciate any help on this one!
TIA!
Paul Rymal

chadwickt
2005-12-09, 08:14 PM
Hi Paul,
You mentioned that you attempted to make the changes in the project, both in the "libraries" and "folder options" sections.
Have you tried making that change in the application options?
(Tools > Application Options > File)
You can change the Default Content Center Files location, and presumably you could leave your project set to default...
Just an idea, hope that helps.
-Tracy

Cosmic Traveller
2005-12-09, 09:55 PM
Yes Tracy I have modified my default path also to point to my new location! This one is stumping a lot of people here! The resolve link keeps on looking in the old original folder location C:\Doc & Setts\username\Inventor\content center! How to Change this path to my new location! I have way to many files to & resolve a link for every single one! There surely must be a way to path this! I've tried just about every possibility in the Project "Library" paths as well as folder "options" with no results! Hope someone has come across this issue! Thanks!
Paul

jonathan.landeros
2005-12-11, 03:26 PM
Sorry if this "double posts" as it never displayed the first time!
HI! Can someone "Please" help me figure out a way to properly link my content center files to my current project! We had to re-format our hardrive & re-intstall! I am having this "Resolve Link" dialogue come up to each of around 40 or more "nuts bolts etc."! I have tried setting up a path in the "libraries" as well as "folder options" & it still wants to look in C:Docs & sett'susernameinventorcontent center! There must be a way to replace this particular search path in the resolve link so these content center files will be found globally & automatically! Even our Autodesk Service Rep is stumped on this one!
Appreciate any help on this one!
TIA!
Paul Rymal
__________________ Paul,

Out of curiosity, has anything changed with respect to the user? C:Docs & sett'susernameinventorcontent center is user based, and it's possible this path may be hosed by the reformat. It's also possible that the old path could be viewed as being another user (if your login changed and the previous one wasn't deleted). If you have any user rights short of Administrator, you may not be able to access the folder.

On another thought, have you tried copying and pasting the content out of the old folder into a new, post HD format folder?

Cosmic Traveller
2005-12-12, 06:30 PM
Hi Jonathan! Yes I believe this to be the case in that the re-format set up the same user but I log in using my own log in & password! I've tried pointing my search path in the direction of the old user but its a no go! I've tried copying & pasting that content center everwhere short of where there is no light! Autodesk says I will either have to re-link every single file in every project or else setup a new project with a new set of paths. What a fiasco! Surely there must be a simpler way to re-link this content center folder! Add this to the wish list I guess!
Paul

jonathan.landeros
2005-12-12, 10:04 PM
Hi Jonathan! Yes I believe this to be the case in that the re-format set up the same user but I log in using my own log in & password! I've tried pointing my search path in the direction of the old user but its a no go! I've tried copying & pasting that content center everwhere short of where there is no light! Autodesk says I will either have to re-link every single file in every project or else setup a new project with a new set of paths. What a fiasco! Surely there must be a simpler way to re-link this content center folder! Add this to the wish list I guess!
Paul
I'm not sure how closely the issues relate, but I've had pretty good luck copying content center files from one library location to another without relinking. I suspect that the other issue is that some of the locations are Windows User based, and unless you have full admin privileges Document and Settings locations are pretty heavily locked down.

Jonathan

mikef.nosler
2005-12-16, 12:23 AM
This sounds like multiple problems, which we have seemed to go through here as well. I assume you have re-aligned your Content Center files on the <Tools>, <Application Options>, <File> tab, and made your Content Center files to point to the directory you want them to?

The other thing we have done is made sure that the Project workspace screen points to the TOP of the file directory where all your Inventor files reside so that it knows to look in that parent directory before searching for individual files that are not attached to the original project. Open your "Projects" splash page and when you create (or edit) a project, over on the right toolbar you will notice a character set of >> which expands the hidden <workspace> look to folder. Point this folder to the top of your directory tree and it will find the parts that are not directly attached to the particular project.