PDA

View Full Version : trimming the ends of strutural members

Justin Marchiel
2005-12-10, 12:46 AM
I have 2 hss beams that come together at a 45 degree angle. i can't seem to figure out how to have the beams trim at the angle so that the end of the members are not square.

Does anyone know how to do this?

THanks

Justin

sbrown
2005-12-10, 03:55 PM
You place a ref. plane where you want to cut the beam off, then use the cut geometry tool to cut the end off the beam. Note the structural memeber has to be set to steel in its structural properties. This was demo'd at a revit structures class at AU so it may only work in revit structures.

Justin Marchiel
2005-12-12, 04:21 PM
I doesn't seem to work on my end. I tried inserting the ref plane, but the cut geometry tool doesn't seem to work on the structural member.

Any other ideas? There has to be others out there that have to trim a structural member like plumb cut rafters?

THanks

Justin

sbrown
2005-12-12, 05:30 PM
the other way is to cut it with a void. Just open the members, add a void extrusion save as and reload.

Justin Marchiel
2005-12-12, 05:41 PM
so that would mean that i would need multiple copies of the same family so that i could have the same member with different end cuts? or did i miss part of the thinking with families?

I am new to revit and trying to learn.

Thanks

Justin

sbrown
2005-12-12, 07:29 PM
you can make the void shape parametric so that it will work for no cut thru 180 degrees. Basically you will need to create a void shape that has an angle parameter to control the type of cut. then since revit won't let you take it all the way to 0, you will need a formula that will tell the void to move away from the beam when the angle = 0. I know it sounds complex, so you may just want to create 2 diff. families, one that doesn't get cut and one that does. 2 families should handle all conditions. 1 can but is a little more complex. Here is an example of a column that does what I'm describing. You'll see you can make this col, a half col, 3/4, whatever, just by inputing the rotation value, ie 360 is a whole col, 270 is 3/4, etc.

Justin Marchiel
2005-12-12, 08:15 PM
i get the basic idea. I will try playing around with it.

Thanks

Justin

ryanmcin
2005-12-13, 04:37 PM
This was demo'd at a revit structures class at AU so it may only work in revit structures.

It is my understanding (and experience) that the cut method works only within Revit Structure.

rhys
2005-12-13, 05:39 PM
Heres a UCSection I've played around with using void and reference LINE

david.kingham
2005-12-14, 02:06 AM
It is my understanding (and experience) that the cut method works only within Revit Structure.

Seems to be true, which is odd...I remember them demonstrating this at the mixer, could have sworn it was building and not structure...

sbrown
2005-12-14, 01:52 PM
we had one guy on structure at the mixer.

david.kingham
2005-12-14, 03:02 PM
doh! Cheaters!! :D

cadkiller
2005-12-14, 04:02 PM
What about using an in place family sweep?
Would that work for you?