PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Title with a comma

ddraeger
2005-12-12, 06:55 PM
When I attempt to create a sheet with the title: "Stair Section, Plans & Details" the following error comes up: "Invalid characters in the the name: Stair Section, Plans & Details. The following characters are not valid: <>/":;?*|,=` "

I highly doubt that I am the first person to want to put a comma in title of a sheet. Does anyone know of a work-around for this?

Steve_Bennett
2005-12-12, 08:59 PM
It can't put a comma in it because the name of the sheet is used to create the dwg on your hard drive. It's a Windows thing, not ADT. If you must have a comma in it, name it without it first, then try renaming it with the comma in it. **note: I have not tried this, just guessing. If it doesn't work, please post back in here & we'll go from there.

ddraeger
2005-12-12, 09:24 PM
I am sorry, but you are incorrect on both accounts. Windows (XP) will allow me to change the name of the dwg to include a comma. (xxxxx-A6.2 Stair Section, Plans & Details.dwg) However after that is done the link to Project Navigator is broken and the drawing will not open. Second, you CANNOT rename the sheet name after it is created to include a comma, the same error will appear as the first time it was created. This is an AutoCAD problem.

Any ideas for a fix, or workaround?

Steve_Bennett
2005-12-13, 02:35 AM
This is an AutoCAD problem.

Any ideas for a fix, or workaround?Since this seems to be more of an AutoCAD problem, I'm going to move this over to the SSM forum (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52) then & let one of the gurus there take a stab at it. I'd be curious to know what the outcome is.

Mike.Perry
2005-12-13, 08:07 AM
Any ideas for a fix, or workaround?Hi

Have you tried using the forum search (http://forums.augi.com/search.php?) facility...

Below are just a couple of results I was able to obtain via a very quick forum search...

Use of symbols in SSM (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=13014)

commas in Sheet Set titles (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=23284)

Have a good one, Mike

davidmatyas
2005-12-14, 03:13 PM
UNDERSCORE is a great alternative! Try it, you MAY like it AND you won't use the spacebar for typing spaces, because after all, The spacebar WAS invented to facilitate us AutoCADheads who need the spacebar for nothing else than other than entering commands in AutoCAD. There is a reason its the biggest key on the keyboard.

Matyas

cwade
2006-08-04, 11:04 PM
Underscore looks ugly, these are sheet titles going out to clients and they REQUIRE comas in them in many cases. This is an AutoCAD issue that NEEDS to be fixed NOW, we have been complaining about it since the introduction of Sheet Set Manager, I have to create a custom field right now for my sheet titles and enter them all twice, this is just stupid.

Mike.Perry
2006-08-05, 03:52 AM
Underscore looks ugly, these are sheet titles going out to clients and they REQUIRE comas in them in many cases. This is an AutoCAD issue that NEEDS to be fixed NOW, we have been complaining about it since the introduction of Sheet Set Manager, I have to create a custom field right now for my sheet titles and enter them all twice, this is just stupid.Hi

If you really want to make a difference to the Autodesk products you use, try the following ( if you have not already )...

AutoCAD Product Community Wish List Page (http://www.augi.com/autocad/default.asp?page=1148)

Autodesk MyFeedback Portal (http://myfeedback.autodesk.com/)

Have a good one, Mike

clintonc
2008-03-04, 09:54 PM
I ran into the same problem, I got around it by creating the sheet giving it the sheet number and title (without commas). Then I opened the sheet and exploded the title and put in the comma's I wanted.

It is very rare that I have to change the title of a sheet after I make it so it didn’t cause a problem. In the end I had a sheet with a title in ssm that matched the drawing (minus the commas) so I could keep track of it. I left the sheet number alone so if I needed to move it I could still renumber it in ssm.

hbisco
2008-04-30, 07:41 PM
Have you tried using "ALT+0130"? I use that to put commas in sheet titles in a sheet set.

It works fine until I try to print the dwf that is created when I publish using Oce Publisher. That program does not like the name of any dwf I have created with the ALt+130 comma.

Hugh

TerribleTim
2008-04-30, 11:08 PM
Honestly, I think the comma is not near as big a problem as the backslash. i have WAY more drawing titles that NEED a backslash than I do commas. Anyone got a workaround for the backslash? And no, going back and killing the title link by putting my own backslash in it is not an option. Kind of defeats the purpose, does it not?

kathy71046
2008-05-01, 09:53 AM
When I attempt to create a sheet with the title: "Stair Section, Plans & Details" the following error comes up: "Invalid characters in the the name: Stair Section, Plans & Details. The following characters are not valid: <>/":;?*|,=` "

I highly doubt that I am the first person to want to put a comma in title of a sheet. Does anyone know of a work-around for this?

I believe you can't use the sheet set with comma, however, you can still put the comma into your title blocks using fields by setting your sheet sets to have subsets,
eg: subset=Stair Section, sheet name=Plans and Details
callout to titleblock goes field "subset" , field "sheet name" or other combinations of subsets, document properties, sheetset properties etc.

I make a fair bit of use of document and sheet set properties in this fashion with my Title blocks.

Alternatively, are you comfortable with a dash between, as this looks fairly good too.

TerribleTim
2008-05-05, 11:11 PM
Yea, I went to the dash instead of the backslash. While I'm comfortable with it, project managers are a whole other breed.

gspears
2008-11-17, 04:21 PM
Hey guys,
You can put a comma in by holding Alt while typing 0130. What i need is a return line (enter).