PDA

View Full Version : How to Use New RPC People ?

artitech
2005-12-12, 10:35 PM
We have purchased and downloaded some new RPC people from ArchVision and the way that we were told to load them into a project was to first insert one of the pre-loaded RPC people and then by selecting PROPERTIES - EDIT / NEW, we browse to and change the RPC filename with one of the new downloaded RPC people.

I find when I do this, for instance, if I had "Tina" inserted and changed her to one of the new RPC people (say "Marlene"), I get the new RPC person but the mouse-over text still lists her as "Tina" and if I check the drop-down list, Marlene doesn't show up on it....

Is there a step that loads these new RPC people (objects) into Revit that I've missed? :sad:

THX

C. Stechyshyn

truevis
2005-12-13, 01:00 AM
I think you have to make a new type and name it what you want.

Also, the .rpc has to be in the rendering path, IIRC.

SkiSouth
2005-12-13, 03:04 AM
Is there a step that loads these new RPC people (objects) into Revit that I've missed? :sad:

THX

C. StechyshynEach RPC defined family has TWO paths that must be correct. If one is correct, and the other not, or the path doesn't exist, there will a problem. These are either a crash, or a "no-show". After you copy the base RPC family and you have saved this family to a new name, you must then go through the families and point both the RPC properties and RPC definition to the same file.

To change the family, open the family and look at the RPC properties and RPC family definition, under each family type defined. You need to create a new family type for each RPC you want to use, and be sure both the property and definition point to the same file. Right click on the rpc or select the arrow pulldown to get the the proper dialogue to edit the paths.

You can use ANY RPC family to load an RPC, a tree can be a person or a car or whatever, but as you can imagine, that would be somewhat confusing. Therefore there are many RPC families, mainly to be able to represent each type of RPC with a line descriptor that shows up in the non-rendered view to indicate the actual placement of the RPC and what should appear in the rendering.

You can edit these model lines in the family you have created to let you know which RPC family you are working with in the model -such as a seated RPC person versus a running or walking person, etc.

artitech
2005-12-13, 02:08 PM
Skisouth,

Thanks for the detailed help. I'll follow it through.

I also noticed (the way that I did it yesterday) that when I changed the RPC filename of a preloaded RPC person, it "assumed their identitiy"... that is, anywhere I had loaded "Tina" wa schanged to the new RPC person, even though I only selected one instance and changed it...

THX:D

SkiSouth
2005-12-13, 04:52 PM
no problem. - Thunder Bay huh? Thinking about doing Canoe Base up there. Been to Ely, MN. Now the choice is Bissett or Attikokan...

artitech
2005-12-14, 12:23 PM
no problem. - Thunder Bay huh? Thinking about doing Canoe Base up there. Been to Ely, MN. Now the choice is Bissett or Attikokan...
Atikokan is labelled the "Canoe Capital of the North", must be worthy of it's title... I know alot of people take canoe trips to Quetico Park.

:beer:

Cory