PDA

View Full Version : Attach railing to curved floor?

patricks
2005-12-14, 12:03 AM
I made a curved in-place floor to represent part of the entrance steps in front of a house, and I need the railing to follow the curve of the in-place floor slab. Is this possible? See attached image.

Max Lloyd
2005-12-14, 12:07 AM
'set host' doesn't work?

edit - hmmm, it seems not. May be quicker to simply model the railings as an in place family too?

patricks
2005-12-14, 01:08 AM
Well, problem is that the railing curves in plan, as well as in elevation (or is supposed to)... I'm thinking that's going to be somewhat difficult to do as an in-place family.

SkiSouth
2005-12-14, 01:38 AM
What about a base rail as the capstone on the side walls?

patricks
2005-12-14, 07:16 AM
Well I suppose that could work, but I also have curving brick walls underneath the curving concrete portion that need to attach to the bottom of the concrete portion (which was already done in my image attached above).

Max Lloyd
2005-12-14, 08:27 AM
Try this. Create the brick walls using the stair string. Then, as Skisouth suggests, add a profile to the bottom of the railing to create the coping. Works well I think.

EDIT - In deed, just realised, surely this is the easiest way to create a wall under a curved staircase as the string even cuts off at the level underneath. Revit is even better than I realised!

patricks
2005-12-14, 01:14 PM
So use the stringers as walls then? Hmm I would not have thought of that.

However I had created the stairs as monolithic since they are concrete, but I guess to have stringers they can't be monolithic stairs, right?

Max Lloyd
2005-12-14, 02:57 PM
correct. But I guess the only reason you had them monolithic was to avoid having the stringers? If you use them as walls, everyone's a winner! ;)

patricks
2005-12-14, 05:13 PM
correct. But I guess the only reason you had them monolithic was to avoid having the stringers? If you use them as walls, everyone's a winner! ;)

well no, really I just had them as monolithic because that's how it would be in real life... I like modelling as close to reality as possible. :)

christo4robin
2005-12-14, 05:26 PM
Use the solution above, but use two stair objects - make the one with the stringers as walls be an open riser stair with a very thin tread. Then copy that stair in place, change its type to your monolithic stair, and that should do it. You've got two stairs in the same place, but as long as you can work with that, you should be set.

patricks
2005-12-14, 07:30 PM
Alrighty, got it to work, and it looks great. :cool:

bgoldman
2006-02-15, 01:55 PM
Looks awesome!!! How much individual linework did you perform on this elevation. Basically how much is not parametric? Like the jack arches and stuff?

B

patricks
2006-02-15, 02:35 PM
wow that was awhile back....

The mortar joints of the jack arches are model lines, so it actually is in the model. That and also the use of filled regions along the bottom to make a "ground plane" is pretty much the only line work I did. That elevation does have Override Sillhouettes applied, with a line weight of 8 I think.

You should see it when I had shadows turned on, looked really awesome.

Sadly, though, I heard that the owner is not going to build it. :(