PDA

View Full Version : Void forms

kwong
2005-12-14, 09:45 AM
I've just been going through some interesting threads where some of the best contributors to this forum have sent in amazing stuff whereby they mention the use of voids. I've used voids for very basic stuff and very linear, but how do we (the uninitiated) learn to use voids in the way these experts do? Some of the works by Phil Read & Bryan Sutton (esp his stage set work) are outstanding, but how do we even start? Certainly not from the tutorials. Can anyone suggest something? Thanks.
kwong

sbrown
2005-12-14, 01:37 PM
Just play with it, the simplest is to just create a blend shape of your choice(void) then use the edges of the void as sweep paths. once you see what that does, start adding parameters. This is out of the box thinking so there aren't any tutorials.

SCShell
2005-12-14, 03:29 PM
Hey Scott,
Very interesting subject. I have not explored Voids either. I would be interested in seeing some examples of how you use them.

Thanks in advance
Steve

sbrown
2005-12-14, 04:29 PM
Here is the idea, you take it from here. All I've added to this is a height parameter, you'll see if you change that the structure follows. So its a way to create framing that is flexible.

kwong
2005-12-15, 06:33 AM
Scott,

Thanks for your post, I can understand the principle, however I'm trying to work out how you did the extrusions using the edges of the void as paths. Can you spare the time to explain? Thanks.
kwong

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-12-15, 08:08 AM
When creating the sweep or extrusion use the pick path option to create the path instead of drawing it. Select the edge of the solid, void or mass object and a ref plane will be created perpendicular to the path. Draw your profile and the sweep or extrusion will follow the selected edge. The real power of this is when you modify the underlying geometry. Since the path is defined by the edge, the path changes dynamically.

kwong
2005-12-15, 12:56 PM
Dimitri,
Thanks for your contribution, makes a lot of sense.
kwong

sbrown
2005-12-15, 02:16 PM
there is also a little check box under settings/family category and parameters, called work plane based. If you check this box, then you can place your family on any workplane, so when you load it, lets say you have a sloped wall you want to put it on, just pick the plane tool, then the wall, then place your component and it will assume the active workplane.

kwong
2005-12-15, 10:10 PM
Great Scott!
Who would have known that little gem - is it anywhere in the manual or tutorials? Thanks again for that.
kwong