PDA

View Full Version : Phasing & opening in walls?

Paul P.
2005-12-14, 02:57 PM
I'm using phasing for the first time in anger, things are a going well. I've got the survey of the building in the existing phase, duplicated the plans and changed the phase to New and added what I needed to, I also removed what I need to by changing the phase to Demolished.

So far so good, everything looking great and as it should, but now I need to create an opening in one of the existing wall's but I'm struggling as to what is the best method. I tried the opening tool but it keeps defaulting to the existing phase and I cant change it, I tried editing the profile but this cant be controlled by the phase. The only thing I can think of is to set the existing wall to be demolished and create a new wall with the opening in the New phase, is this the correct way to go about this or are others going about this differently and I'm missing the obvious

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul.

david.kingham
2005-12-14, 03:11 PM
Is it a rectangular opening? If so just use a door that's an opening

SCShell
2005-12-14, 03:14 PM
Hey there,
Try this link:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=227280#post227280

Hope it helps
Steve

ejburrell67787
2005-12-14, 03:16 PM
I'm using phasing for the first time in angerWell... not sure what you mean by that? :shock:

I think an opening will always be the phase of it's host element (its part of the element geometry really I guess). If, however, you insert a door that is just an opening as David suggests you will have control over the phase of the opening independent of the host wall.

Paul P.
2005-12-14, 03:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies, the use of an opening (door) works a treat as Dave and Elrond suggested.

Steve, I will try your suggestion another time.

Elrond, this is the first job I've used Phasing on, I've only played with it in the past.

Regards, Paul.

tamas
2005-12-15, 05:42 PM
The only thing I can think of is to set the existing wall to be demolished and create a new wall with the opening in the New phase, is this the correct way to go about this or are others going about this differently and I'm missing the obvious
The one you mention is a good way. You can make it better with the following trick:

- Draw your wall without the opening in the Existing phase (never demolished).
- Select it, Ctrl-C, Paste same place to make an identical wall on top. (ignore the overlap warning)
- Now select one of the walls (they are identical, so does not matter which) and make the opening on it.
- Use the Join Geometry tool to join the two walls! This will change the wall without the opening to become the perfect infill piece. (Picking order is important to make sure that the wall with the opening will cut the other.)
- Select the wall that is now filling in the opening and change its phase to created in Existing and demolished in New.
- Voila

I like this approach, because if you need to change the opening later, the infill wall will take on the proper shape automatically. You could also lock align the two walls together, so they do not go out of sync.

The same technique works for openings in floors, roofs, etc.

Tamas

Paul P.
2005-12-16, 08:44 AM
Tamas, thanks for the reply. I will definitely try that next time.

Regards, Paul.

PeterJ
2005-12-16, 08:46 AM
I had never considered phasing in families. That's a great trick.