PDA

View Full Version : Costworks?

cogen
2004-03-21, 05:30 PM
I ran several costworks estimates in a 6.0 project, and around the time of rel. 6.1 I noticed that costworks would "time out" and never complete. After installing 6.1 I saw that there was no longer a cost report tool available. The limitations of costworks have been well documented here, but after 20+ years of estimating by other means I still found that tool to be useful (even with it's limitations).

With all the great improvements in Revit and the earlier promise of integrated cost estimating, does anyone know what the future of Revit Costworks is?

PeterJ
2004-03-21, 07:38 PM
I think it will be an xml output or ODBC output to something more detailed.

kjohnston341914
2004-04-12, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know of options users have if they liked this tool :?:

cogen
2004-04-13, 06:30 PM
cphubb wrote (under 4d simulation?):

I saw a presentation by a large SF based contractor who is using Revit for all of their estimating as well as construction sequencing. They have discovered that the time required to construct the Revit model is about the same as scaling the drawing using the wheel and Excel. When the model is done they dump the database to their estimating software and TA-DA they have an estimate.

Other than the above discussion, I've had to resort to going back to the spreadsheet - clearly a step backwards after experiencing costworks (perfect or not) :banghead:

gregcashen
2004-04-13, 08:20 PM
It turns out that the costworks engine didn't take into account anything but square foot costs for the building type and most people found it to be pretty inaccurate. I believe we will see some new estimating capabilities, either from the factory or 3rd parties, in the near future.

cliff collins
2004-04-14, 03:39 PM
We are currently running 6.0, and are starting a new job, and hope to use
the RS Means "square foot" cost reporting, for quick estimating, and comparing wood vs. steel framing.

Is it true that this is not included in 6.1? If so, what will happen to our info when we upgrade to 6.1?

Just curious...... :?:

Also, regarding the post about the Contrator using Revit---so we now have contractors taking 2d hard copy drawings, and building models in Revit from them? Shouldn't the Architects build the Revit model, then share with bidders for cost estimation? :roll:

Cliff Collins

Scott D Davis
2004-04-14, 03:45 PM
Shouldn't the Architects build the Revit model, then share with bidders for cost estimation?

It's a value-added service, so the Architect should share the information with the contractor for a negotiated fee.

cliff collins
2004-04-14, 03:48 PM
Scott,
Yes--we agree. Yet another fee-generator.
Also--do you know about the 6.0 to 6.1 thing?
Cliff

Scott D Davis
2004-04-14, 03:52 PM
CostWorks is gone in 6.1, so I'm not sure what happens to your info when you upgrade. You need to call support on that one. Stick with 6.0 until you find out.

PeterJ
2004-04-14, 04:02 PM
Shouldn't the Architects build the Revit model, then share with bidders for cost estimation? :roll:

Phil Palmer, who posts here and works for a large construction company tells me that they hardly ever receive even DWGs on CD for a big tender. Even on design and build work where that would ensure tighter take-offs.

gregcashen
2004-04-14, 05:32 PM
For a better workflow for estimating, contact Ken Stowe (member here and autodesk construction guy) for his input. He has a unique way of using the schedules from a revit file to automatically populate an estimating spreadsheet. very elegant and powerful. Much better than costworks.

Speaking of, you could just run an area analysis to get square foot areas, buy the rsmeans sf books and use the appropriate sf cost for your building type and area and it would take not much longer than the old revit way. Plus, your data would be up to date. I don't think the revit costworks was using the latest books unless you purchased the data from rsmeans anyway, so no net loss to you. it really wasn't that useful and you'd be better off looking at better methods...which is what I think Revit is also doing.