PDA

View Full Version : Structural Joins

Alex Page
2004-03-21, 09:30 PM
We use alot of exposed steel in our residential projects...ie tend to use exposed steel beam/ columns for architecutural 'pergolas', sometimes with pin joints, sometimes mitred.
Unfortunately, they look terrible in Revit because of the way that you cant control the joins.
Surely if the view is 'architectural' not 'structural' we should be able so show these connections as they would be seen, or am I missing something?

I was really hoping that this would be sorted in 6/ 6.1, but alas!...looks like theres nothing that can be done....

Anyone have any thoughts/ ideas/ workarounds???

christo4robin
2004-03-21, 10:48 PM
To gain control over joins, you need to work with families that are not structural. You'll lose scheduling and framing plan capability as a result, although it would be possible with subcategories and visibility control to recreate the framing plan functionality.

That said, you can either create the channel, wide flange, etc. familiies from scratch or open the existing structural family and change its family type to generic.

Hope that helps.

Alek Sutulov
2004-03-22, 04:23 PM
How do you change Structural family type to Generic?

Allen Lacy
2004-03-22, 04:30 PM
Open the family in the family editor and under settings>family catergory and paramaters change the family category from structural to generic and save as.

Alek Sutulov
2004-03-22, 05:30 PM
Beautifull, thanks

cgrover
2004-04-15, 04:14 AM
I ran into this same problem and followed along with the suggestions, but now I've ran into another problem. When you change the family to a "generic" family, then you must place them as a "component". My problems come with placing the families, it doesn't behave as it should. It is "locking" itself to one point and I can only move it north and south on the screen. I'm working with the "Timber" family. Any suggestions or comments? I'm looking for a result where the timbers will butt up to one and other or mitre.

Thanks,
Grover