PDA

View Full Version : Stretching Walls and Roof Together?

Jason
2004-03-21, 09:58 PM
I recall reading a feature allowing walls and roofs to be linked and when the wall is moved the roof moves with it. What is the name of the command and how do you link these objects. I am not sure if this feature is in Revit or Archicad or other CAD programs.

Thanks,

Jason

jbalding48677
2004-03-21, 10:11 PM
Select the walls you want to ATTACH and pick the attach top/bottom button. Then select the roof to attach to. It is worth noting, that you can attach to other objects like floors, etc. One of the unknown items that you can attach to is a reference plane, which can then be moved and or rotated.

Jason
2004-03-21, 10:21 PM
Hi Jim,

I just tried your method of attaching the walls to the roof. However, when I stretch or relocate the wall, the roof did not move with it. I thought I read somewhere where the walls and roofs move together once they are attached, but I am not certain if these feature is in REVIT.

J

beegee
2004-03-21, 11:04 PM
Moving the walls does stretch the roof when the walls have been attached to the roof. See attached.

The roof however, is constrained to the walls and will not move move unless the "disjoin" button is used.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1826

jbalding48677
2004-03-21, 11:10 PM
Hi Jim,

I just tried your method of attaching the walls to the roof. However, when I stretch or relocate the wall, the roof did not move with it. I thought I read somewhere where the walls and roofs move together once they are attached, but I am not certain if these feature is in REVIT.

J

I misunderstood your question, I was telling you how to attach the wall to the roof to allow the walls to get taller, if you will, when the roof was raised. What you need to do to ensure what beegee is showing you is use the "pick walls" when you create the roof. Does that make sense?

Sorry for any confusion -

sbrown
2004-03-22, 06:37 AM
YOu just need to make sure when you create your roof you use the "pick walls" option, then when you move your walls the roof will come too.

Jason
2004-03-22, 07:26 AM
Thank you all. That is exactly what I was looking for. Is this feature available only in using "pick wall" when creating the roof?

Thanks again to all of you.

Jason

beegee
2004-03-22, 07:57 AM
Is this feature available only in using "pick wall" when creating the roof?
Jason

Yes, that's correct.

PeterJ
2004-03-22, 08:20 AM
Although you can hard dimension a roof defining sketch line from a wall and the roof should then respond to changes in the location of that wall.

Long way round though.

Scott D Davis
2004-03-22, 04:43 PM
You can Align and Lock sketch lines to un derlying geometry to make them stetch together.