PDA

View Full Version : Water Pipes

Glenn Pope
2005-12-16, 04:19 PM
Finally got Civil3D 2006 installed on my system. Got a small water line project coming up that we would like to use Civil3D on. The catalog that comes with Civil3D only has structures and pipes for sewers and storm sewers.

Does any one already have a catalog for water parts that they are welling to share?

OR

Does any one have any kind of documentation for the Partbuilder tools so I could try making my own?

Thanks!

danny.counts
2005-12-16, 06:59 PM
You can create a custom parts list for a water network, the question is does the program offer a material type and structure type that will work for you. If your concern is just layout the pipe location and strucutre, you should just create a custom parts list for water and grab the most relevant pipes and structures from the catalog. If you cannot find the right size pipe and structure, use PARTBUILDER command to create some custom sizes.

Glenn Pope
2005-12-16, 08:10 PM
You can create a custom parts list for a water network, the question is does the program offer a material type and structure type that will work for you. If your concern is just layout the pipe location and strucutre, you should just create a custom parts list for water and grab the most relevant pipes and structures from the catalog. If you cannot find the right size pipe and structure, use PARTBUILDER command to create some custom sizes.
The pipe parts wouldn't be much of a problem. Can easily use whats already there. What I would really like to have is a catalog of bends, valves, tees, etc... setup as structures. I know I could make these using PARTBUILDER myself (a sharing person that already made them would be better ;) ) . The only problem is there isn't any documentation for it from Autodesk that I can find. Makes it a little harder to get started with no direction.

Thanks!

danny.counts
2005-12-16, 10:57 PM
You are correct that it is tough to get started. There are books being produced. It is however, rather easy to take existing catalog info and create new sizes for them

MMccall.83699
2005-12-16, 11:38 PM
The pipes are not a problem. I've spun off a few new pipes.

The structures .... you might be able to pull it off by using null structures in the network with their display in plan and profile set to use specific blocks for tees, crosses, bends and what-not. The plan view blocks can be rotated to fit correctly. However, blocks in the profile might not align with the pipes too well if the pipes have a lot of slope.

Glenn Pope
2005-12-19, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the idea. I'll try that.

Aquaserpent
2005-12-19, 03:11 PM
It should be noted that PARTBUILDER is an undocumented element within Civil 3D. Autodesk doesn't want untrained hands creating parts, so they thought if they don't make any mention of it in the documentation, for most users it will not exist.

MHultgren
2005-12-19, 08:33 PM
For more info, you can check out this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=20668) to get a little insight into the procedures