PDA

View Full Version : Generic Model Problem

dsw98
2005-12-19, 06:10 PM
Why can't I rotate a generic 3d object that I have attached to a wall? It's not a wall based item. It's a cobble stone trim piece I've put over a widow. I was then going to do an array around the top of an arched window. But that wouldn't work, it was arraying the cobble on the floor plan "plane". So I thought I would just copy/rotate the item, but then I get the error that says Item can rotate into this position. Any suggestions?

Scott D Davis
2005-12-19, 06:22 PM
Make sure its a workplane based family, (open the family, check the properties) and be sure that the "workplane" is the "back" of the cobble or the part that sits on the wall.

When you place it in your project, select the face of the wall as the new workplane first, then place the cobble.

dsw98
2005-12-19, 06:43 PM
I've got the cobble plane associated, but I don't know how to select the plane after I import it into the project. It will only add it to my floor plan. But after I go to my front elevation it still won't let me rotate it.

Scott D Davis
2005-12-19, 07:23 PM
go to a 3D view, then slect the Workplane button from the top left toolbar (below the 'new' and "open' icons)

Pick the face of the wall that you want to apply the cobble to as the new workplane. Then pick the cobble component from the design bar, and apply it to the face.

sbrown
2005-12-19, 07:41 PM
In your family, check under settings/family category and paramters and make sure work plane based is checked.

dsw98
2005-12-19, 08:33 PM
I've done all the above, was able to do this, but it still won't let me rotate the cobble.

cosmickingpin
2005-12-19, 08:50 PM
Wait,
I am confused, is this an "in place" family? or a loaded component? Is sounds like you are trying to array an inplace family, on which case you will have to do it in family editor. If it is a loaded component then you sould be able to do it in the family file just fine.
If you could post the component file it would take no time to look at it..

dsw98
2005-12-19, 09:08 PM
Wait,
I am confused, is this an "in place" family? or a loaded component? Is sounds like you are trying to array an inplace family, on which case you will have to do it in family editor. If it is a loaded component then you sould be able to do it in the family file just fine.
If you could post the component file it would take no time to look at it..

It's a loaded component. Here is the file.

cosmickingpin
2005-12-19, 09:33 PM
I arrayed the object within the family and it worked just fine. Make a new family with this family nested in it, and make a parametric array so the arc radius and number in array will all be "input-able" or parametric, that way you will have one family for any window, regardless of width or radius Somebody had a really good tutorial on how to do this, like putting holes in the center of a wide flange beam, was that Aaron Rumple who made that? I arrayed it within the family, then made array arc length and radius and array number all parameters and it worked fine.

It's a loaded component. Here is the file.

dsw98
2005-12-19, 11:22 PM
If someone knows where that tutorial is that would be great. I'm having hard time getting my array parameter to lock and be EQ, and other things. Thanks.

cosmickingpin
2005-12-19, 11:40 PM
I think this is it!

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=5451&highlight=array
here is another good post:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=30548&highlight=polar+array

If someone knows where that tutorial is that would be great. I'm having hard time getting my array parameter to lock and be EQ, and other things. Thanks.