PDA

View Full Version : Multifamily

BomberAIA
2003-05-24, 11:45 AM
I have asked this question on Revits Discussion Group before, but I am still a little confused about the best way of producing a multifamily project. If you have several unit types and building types, how do you organize the model in terms of building plans & unit plans? I have heard that you would phase it or link it. Which is the best way? If you have multi-floors w/ the same unit reaping, do you copy that unit to ach instance? As you know in Acad you would Xref that plan into the building plan. I must be brain dead, because I see alot of architects on these sites producing multifamily projects. Thanks.

beegee
2003-05-25, 12:24 AM
I have asked this question on Revits Discussion Group before, but I am still a little confused about the best way of producing a multifamily project. If you have several unit types and building types, how do you organize the model in terms of building plans & unit plans? I have heard that you would phase it or link it. Which is the best way? If you have multi-floors w/ the same unit reaping, do you copy that unit to ach instance? As you know in Acad you would Xref that plan into the building plan. I must be brain dead, because I see alot of architects on these sites producing multifamily projects. Thanks.

I prefer to keep each building type in its own file and link ( like Xref) them into a master plan. In the master plan you can have numerous instances of the same building type, mirrored and oriented as you want. You can also show different levels for different buildings, ie on a sloping site you can show all the ground floor levels, despite the fact that the viewing plane of the master file does not cut them all.

As far as multi floor projects with repeating units are concerned, you could copy them as you suggest, but you would need to recopy when revisions occurred. Most of my projects have variations between each multi floor unit, so I dont have a lot of Revit experience with your particular situation. I guess it depends on how many units you need to deal with for copies.

Someone else might like to chime in on that issue.

beegee

BomberAIA
2003-05-25, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I am not clear on showing the unit plans that are modeled in the building plans. Do you add a drafting view to show the unit plans?

beegee
2003-05-25, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I am not clear on showing the unit plans that are modeled in the building plans. Do you add a drafting view to show the unit plans?

You link the model which contains the units to the master rvt file ( say the site plan file ). The plans of the units will display in the master plan (as though you had XRefed them ). Similarly, all aspects of the linked files will show also, ie if you cut a section through the site running through the buildings that are linked, you will see a section through the building as well. If you change the view level to roof level , you will see roof plans of all the linked buildings.
You can change the display of elements in view in the linked file ie you could choose to see furniture in the plans or not.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer. Have you done the tutorial ? -" Model Linking " and " Shared Co-ordinates " It will help explain things.

beegee

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-27, 12:12 AM
Bomber,

We make heavy use of groups when working on "multi-family" buildings. Our firm does a lot of large scale senior housing projects. These projects typically have buildings of 120 or more units, many of which are similar. We usually develop a typical bathroom layout group, and nest that into a unit type group. We then copy, mirror, etc the units around to make up the building. That way if the units change they can be updated everywhere very quickly.

Be warned, though, groups can be very buggy, they have basic but somtimes counter-intutive "rules" that must be followed. We have learned over several projects what works and what doesn't. So we have a pretty good system down. I try to post a screen shot of what objects make up a typical unit type for us. The good news is, revit has hinted to major group improvments for the next release. Also I'm still planning on releasing a video tutorial on using revit for multi-family projects. Just haven't found the time yet :(

beegee
2003-05-27, 12:40 AM
Bomber,

. Also I'm still planning on releasing a video tutorial on using revit for multi-family projects. Just haven't found the time yet :(

Chris,

I hope you do find the time. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying the more I can learn about using groups for multi-family projects the better. :wink:

beegee

BomberAIA
2003-05-27, 01:11 AM
Chris:
Thanks for the info. I do alot of townhouse and apartment projects. I am going to start a townhouse project this week and started a small apartment project last week. I will let you know how it turns out. I have one question though, how do you show your different unit plans (1/4")? Do you use a drafting view? Thanks

Nelson V
2003-07-20, 03:08 AM
Czoog wrote:

Bomber,

We make heavy use of groups when working on "multi-family" buildings. Our firm does a lot of large scale senior housing projects. These projects typically have buildings of 120 or more units, many of which are similar. We usually develop a typical bathroom layout group, and nest that into a unit type group. We then copy, mirror, etc the units around to make up the building. That way if the units change they can be updated everywhere very quickly.

Aloha Chris,

How do you organize your Construction Documents if you have linked files? Are the CD done in the floor plans file or in the site file. We have a similar project, 150 units 1 to 3 bedroom homes :?:

Mahalo (thanks) Nelson V.

beegee
2003-07-20, 06:04 AM
Nelson,

I've just finished CDs for a Retirement village complex, with 7 different building types plus a 2 storey central facilities building. ( approximately 60 units )

Each building type was linked to the site plan.

The CDs were done within the building type files.
The site plan file was limited to only site specific details for the CD's.

Sections, layouts and details that applied to all building types were produced in one of the type files, then the other types files referred to those sheets.

All worked nicely :)

The site plan file can get bogged down since it loads each of the building type files, so I think this method works best.

beegee

John K.
2003-07-20, 06:49 PM
I propose a new thread or topic for groups: a cumulative list of what does and does not work. I know that's a pain in the *** [PITA] because it's easier for me to simply "know" my own experience and not attempt to put it into clear, concise bullet points. However, I think this would be worth the collective effort...

Here goes:

1. Stick to one level. We're doing townhomes and I've created huge messes trying to group everything from the ground up in one shot. Seems to create less havoc by going one level at a time. Stairs still a monster no matter what.

2. Many <<annotation>> elements simply won't make the trip: Reference plains, dims(? inconsistent?).

3. Start small. Avoid trying to window 'everything.' Grab a few elements which work consistantly then go into <<edit group>> mode and start adding.

That's my opening salvo. I know there are more experienced users here and I will not take offense with being corrected...

Best,

Nelson V
2003-07-22, 06:02 PM
Mahalo (Thanks),
Beegee & John K

I try your susgestions :D

Nelson V