PDA

View Full Version : Pro-E Files .prt and .asm?

awarren
2005-12-19, 10:51 PM
First does anyone have any Pro-e sheet metal files I can play with?

Has anyone tried to import them to inventor and had any problems when unfolding them? I want to import them unfold it and make a dxf for our software to program with.

awarren
2005-12-23, 03:17 PM
Let me explain a little more... I want to import a Pro-E file and open it. Has anyone been able to do this?

jonathan.landeros
2005-12-23, 04:27 PM
Let me explain a little more... I want to import a Pro-E file and open it. Has anyone been able to do this?You used to be able to open them if the file is older than version 20 or so (give or take a release or 2, my memories fuzzy). After that, the files were encrypted by PTC and nobody can translate them.

You're best bet is to get a step file and open that in Inventor.

Jonathan

Cad_crew
2006-02-07, 01:52 PM
You used to be able to open them if the file is older than version 20 or so (give or take a release or 2, my memories fuzzy). After that, the files were encrypted by PTC and nobody can translate them.

You're best bet is to get a step file and open that in Inventor.

Jonathan

I hear great things about Inv 11. Rumor is that Autodesk and PTC are working together to be able to open each others files. But that may just be a rumor

KellyR
2006-02-07, 02:12 PM
Let me explain a little more... I want to import a Pro-E file and open it. Has anyone been able to do this?

We use a program called Trans-magic. It does an ok job but only if the Pro-E file are not what they call "shrink wrapped". If they are shrink wrapped we can still open them but, they are not a workable fill (graphics only).

bweir
2006-02-08, 09:12 PM
Can't say I've used this with Pro-E but when I've imported a SAT or IGES solid model into a sheet metal file I've been able to successfully create a flat pattern. The 3D solid must have a uniform thickness used and I've changed the Thickness parameter to the same value as the thickness for the solid model.