PDA

View Full Version : Export to EPS

David Haynes
2004-03-23, 11:28 PM
Is there a way to go from REVIT to an EPS format. Want to take a REVIT rendering and do further work in Photoshop.

Thanks

David Haynes

Scott D Davis
2004-03-23, 11:57 PM
Why EPS? Why not just a JPG, or TIF, open in Pshop, and edit away?

David Haynes
2004-03-24, 04:51 AM
My client wants to do post production work in Photoshop using EPS. He says that it gives him more control over the image.

Regards,
David

hand471037
2004-03-24, 05:00 AM
David, if you print anything in Revit to a PDF file it can be opened in Photoshop 7+ the same as if it was an EPS. There is a PDF writer available for Revit for free off of AutoDesk's website. See if you client can use these instead.

beegee
2004-03-24, 05:04 AM
Shouldn't be a problem. Save your image out of Revit as bmp ( Not jpg since you want to preserve image quality ). Open in Photoshop, then save as EPS from there.

Scott D Davis
2004-03-24, 05:11 AM
Or TIF....TIF is a lossless format which can be opened in p-shop, and saved as EPS.

hand471037
2004-03-24, 06:52 AM
I think what the client might be after with an EPS is the fact that it's a vector format, and when you bring it into Photoshop, Photoshop gives you the options for what DPI and how you want it to *then* rastorize the image. If the client is doing large printing, and wants to make a Revit image into something very large and nice looking in photoshop, starting with a vector image would be what they would want. I can totally see this being the case for something like a big presentation site plan, where the plan is going to be combined with other images to make a nice looking display board.

This isn't possible with the raster exports from Revit, for you're stuck with whatever DPI you can get away with exporting out of Revit. Which, if you don't have a lot of RAM, might not be high enough for best results.

If I remeber correctly, you can bring a PDF into Photoshop, and tell it how big you want it, so that when it converts it into a raster from the PDF vector it will become as large as you want while remaining sharp. If this doesn't work, you could always print to file to a postscript driver, and make a simple postscript file. That should work as well, but I've never tried that with Revit.

beegee
2004-03-24, 07:09 AM
If I remeber correctly, you can bring a PDF into Photoshop, and tell it how big you want it, so that when it converts it into a raster from the PDF vector it will become as large as you want while remaining sharp. If this doesn't work, you could always print to file to a postscript driver, and make a simple postscript file. That should work as well, but I've never tried that with Revit.

You can open a pdf straight into pshop, but I think you may also strike RAM problems doing that. You select the dpi to open the pdf at, from the import dialogue - a 150dpi 12.5 mb black & white pdf file jumps to 88.6 mb at 400dpi !

aaronrumple
2004-03-24, 02:31 PM
Download any of a number of generic postscipt drivers from the web and print to a file. Try the Adobe site for the latest postscript drivers. This will give you an eps that can be opened in Photoshop.

Be warned that you may have to do a good deal of testing as I found that some eps files had distorted information once exported and opened.

And yes. The file may be huge. Our photoshop guy is always trying to manipulate 300 mb files. I'm hoping that Revit will become a bit more skilled at dealing with raster images so we can eventually do away with Photoshop.

David Haynes
2004-03-24, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all the help.

Regards,
David Haynes