PDA

View Full Version : Dimensioning to in-place void cut

patricks
2005-12-21, 05:08 PM
I have a wall with EIFS exterior finish, which has an area on the wall with a 1/2" recess. I created the recessed area using an in-place void extrusion. Now I need to pull a dimension off the side of the recess to the edge of a door, but I can't get a dimension to attach to the edge of that recess created by the void form. Do I have to resort to drawing a bunch of reference planes in the model, or is there a better way to make that wall recess?

aggockel50321
2005-12-21, 07:11 PM
Try using a hosted wall sweep reveal, rather than the in-place family. You can dimension to it.

patricks
2005-12-21, 07:50 PM
Try using a hosted wall sweep reveal, rather than the in-place family. You can dimension to it.

It's not a sweep, though, it's just a shape in the middle of the wall that is recessed back 1/2".

aggockel50321
2005-12-21, 08:14 PM
I mispoke.

I meant to say hosted wall reveal.

patricks
2005-12-21, 08:26 PM
Is that something I can create in-place? I just don't like creating families for something that is specific to one project, as they can clutter up the libraries.

Also, this void/recess is in a stacked wall, and spans across both sub-walls. When I made the in-place void, I actually had to make 2 separate voids, since I was not able to get one void to cut both sub-walls. Would an wall-hosted void be able to cut both sub-walls in my stacked wall?

aggockel50321
2005-12-21, 11:05 PM
Is that something I can create in-place? I just don't like creating families for something that is specific to one project, as they can clutter up the libraries.
The void cut profile is defined with a profile family. You can delete the family after it's loaded in the project, if you choose, & it'll still work in the project.

Would an wall-hosted void be able to cut both sub-walls in my stacked wall?
You repeat the command for each sub-wall.

twiceroadsfool
2006-12-18, 10:24 PM
The void cut profile is defined with a profile family. You can delete the family after it's loaded in the project, if you choose, & it'll still work in the project.

You repeat the command for each sub-wall.

Im bringing this back from the dead because i need clarification on this subject...

We're using Wall Hosted Generic Model families with Voids, for our EIFS Reveals in our Model... Theyre pretty simple, keystone patterns and typical rustification... And we're trying to dimension them. We cant!

I was pretty surprised to see that you cannot dimension to a wall hosted void... Its a perfectly straight line parallel to the ground. Is this typical, or is something strange going on?

aggockel50321
2006-12-19, 02:36 PM
Open your family & place reference planes at the void edges you want to dimension to. You'll be able to dimension to those edges then...

twiceroadsfool
2006-12-19, 11:08 PM
I guess that will work, but ill have to play around with how efficient it is. Those reveals are being driven by a profile family, such that if the client makes a minor change we dont have to resketch 100 reveals, lol...

If i cant have the ref planes in line with the reveals automatically (laybe in the profile family, but i doubt that works...) then i dont know.

Huge disappointment, though.

nnguyen
2006-12-20, 12:11 AM
What I have done to acheive a recessed wall within a wall is that I draw another wall on top of the wall already there, and use the cut geometry command to embed that wall into the other.

See attached.

I drew a wall, then drew a brick wall on top of it, adjust the height of the brick wall, then used cut geometry.

Doing this will allow for dimensioning.

ron.sanpedro
2006-12-20, 12:14 AM

By this do you mean you are storing project specific RFA files in the same folder as the Revit supplied families? If so, you might try segregating them. We keep our office vetted families in a folder structure identical to the Revit folders, and parallel to them, on the server, and each project gets a folder for project specific families. This cuts down on clutter, and makes it easier to peruse the project families and cull the ones that should be added to the office vetted ones.

Best,
Gordon

twiceroadsfool
2006-12-20, 02:58 PM
What I have done to acheive a recessed wall within a wall is that I draw another wall on top of the wall already there, and use the cut geometry command to embed that wall into the other.

See attached.

I drew a wall, then drew a brick wall on top of it, adjust the height of the brick wall, then used cut geometry.

Doing this will allow for dimensioning.

Thanks for the suggestion, but im not talking about a shape i can accomplish with a wall embedded. I have EIFS scoring around arch Windows that come in horizontal, then turn in perpendicular to the window. The familys work perfectly in section, in elevation, in 3d, and in plan... I just cant dimension them. :(

nnguyen
2006-12-20, 03:39 PM
twiceroadsfool, is it possible to achieve what you are saying by editing the profile of the embedded wall?

twiceroadsfool
2006-12-20, 03:53 PM
It might be, but i lose alot of efficiency in working that way. I have the scores set up as a family that is 16'8 wide, because it repeats in a 50' structural grid. Also, ive got a Profile family in the Wall Hosted family, for the reveal sizes. It was done this way so alterations in the design can be made globally, and efficiently. Thats why i love this program.

I suppose i can sit here and draw out a profile for a wall to embed, but at that point i might as well put detail lines all over the walls too. :(

nnguyen
2006-12-20, 04:08 PM
i.c. maybe my suggestion would help patricks?