PDA

View Full Version : ADT 2005 License

CLSchearer
2005-12-21, 06:55 PM
Does ADT continue to que the server for the license even after you have opened a session?

jonathan.landeros
2005-12-22, 07:33 AM
Does ADT continue to que the server for the license even after you have opened a session?All Autodesk products (actually I think any product running on FlexLM) maintains a heartbeat after being started. It pings the server about once per minute to make sure that the server is still up and communicating.

If the heartbeat is lost, the license times out in about 6-10 minutes (I think). The user is then prompted to save before the session shuts down.

2005 based Autodesk products do support license borrowing. This allows you to borrow a license from your server so you can unplug and take the system mobile. Your network pool is reduced by one, but you can be disconnected for up to 30 days after which the license will be returned.

CLSchearer
2005-12-22, 02:32 PM
Tell me if this makes sense.
Our server that was hosting the FlexLM was on it's death bed yesterday and had intermittent service. during that time many CAD user complained that ADT 2005 was operating very slow (more so than normal).
We moved the License to another server. The new server has about 3X as much data on it as the one we moved from. CAD Uses are still complaining about the speed of ADT.
Would it take longer for the server to respond to the CAD Ping if there is more data on it?

jonathan.landeros
2005-12-22, 09:38 PM
Tell me if this makes sense.
Our server that was hosting the FlexLM was on it's death bed yesterday and had intermittent service. during that time many CAD user complained that ADT 2005 was operating very slow (more so than normal).
We moved the License to another server. The new server has about 3X as much data on it as the one we moved from. CAD Uses are still complaining about the speed of ADT.
Would it take longer for the server to respond to the CAD Ping if there is more data on it?I wouldn't expect server data to affect the system. I'm not an ADT guy, but the flexLM packages are tiny, I think only a few kb. The amount of data on the server wouldn't likely have much affect. It pings every minute or so, but it's not sending much data for the license packet.

The first thing I'd check is to make sure that the clients themselves aren't running ADT slowly. Make sure they meet spec, have enough virtual memory, and that the temp space is clear. I've also heard of issues where virus scanners are scanning the dwgs and dragging their performance to a crawl.

The other thing to check would be to make sure that it's not happening to one or two files. If it's happening to a small set of files and not all of them, it could be that the files themselves have too much junk in them.

If this is eliminated, and you suspect the network, you could proceed to the following.

1) Borrow a license, unplug the machine and see if th performance changes.

2) Make sure there aren't any issues with ports 2080 or 27000 (FlexLM and adskflex.exe use these ports).

I would be surprised if Flex were to cause the slowdown on anything but startup though.