PDA

View Full Version : Stacked walls, variable heights?

patricks
2005-12-21, 11:05 PM
Why can't I make all sub-walls in a stacked wall variable height? I have a stacked wall with a brick wainscot as the lower sub-wall, and because of the grading, that lower portion needs to extend down farther in some cases. In other cases, the top of upper sub-wall varies due to differences in parapet height, etc. Do I really have to make separate stacked wall types solely to deal with changes in height around the various parts of the building exterior?

Scott D Davis
2005-12-21, 11:36 PM
There are many things with stacked walls and compound walls that need to be addressed.

Stacked Walls: as you said, need multiple variable pieces. I suggested that we be able to tie the "stacks" in a stacked wall to Levels, instead of hard coding a height in the stacked wall properties. This is more Revit-like anyways. With your suggestion, this tie to the level should be available by type, or by instance. This would let us make one stacked wall type, and have conditions where each piece could go to different heights by level.

Compound walls: The unlocked layers need more control, such as assigning the offset to a level, or the ability to attach just a single layer of a wall to a ceiling or roof or ?? Where would I use this? If I had a wall that extended up to a Level for the Parapet...well i want the interior Gyp Board layer to stop at the sloped ceiling of a valuted space, so it needs to be attached to the ceiling to follow the slope, while the rest of the wall continues upward to the parapet.

Now to be able to use these suggestions, and use stacked walls and compound walls in combination could be very powerful. Take the parapet condition again: A stacked wall has a lower portion with studs, stucco exterior and gyp interior. The upper portion of the stacked assembly has studs with succo both sides. On the exterior, the stucco runs the full height of the wall. The interior gyp is attached to the ceiling, which stops it at the ceiling. The stucco on the interior side of the parapet is attached 'down' to the roof, which also has some slope for drainage. Hope this is all making sense!

Maybe i should answer the question!

Why can't I make all sub-walls in a stacked wall variable height? I have a stacked wall with a brick wainscot as the lower sub-wall, and because of the grading, that lower portion needs to extend down farther in some cases. In other cases, the top of upper sub-wall varies due to differences in parapet height, etc. Do I really have to make separate stacked wall types solely to deal with changes in height around the various parts of the building exterior?
Only the top portion can be variable as you have found. Yes, you will have to make separate walls to deal with your various conditions.

Mr Spot
2005-12-22, 12:10 AM
As Scott touched in you could achieve this by unlocking the layers that need to extend below the bottom of the wall then giving the appropriate base extension.

patricks
2005-12-22, 12:54 AM
As Scott touched in you could achieve this by unlocking the layers that need to extend below the bottom of the wall then giving the appropriate base extension.

Well, in my case the wall is made of 12" CMU structure which goes all the way down to a footing. The site is sloped with stepped footings, so at one part the block and brick wainscot might go down 2'-4" below finished floor, but on other parts it might go down 3'-8" or more below finished floor.

And Scott, you can make any sub-wall be variable height, but only one can be variable.

Scott D Davis
2005-12-22, 02:08 AM
And Scott, you can make any sub-wall be variable height, but only one can be variable.
Ahh yes, you are right. But if you make any segment other than the top variable, then you can't attach the top of the wall to a roof/ceiling/etc.

patricks
2005-12-22, 05:24 AM
Ahh yes, you are right. But if you make any segment other than the top variable, then you can't attach the top of the wall to a roof/ceiling/etc.

ahh really, dang. Well I figured I would give stacked walls another shot in this project, but luckily it's a simple one and I think I can get by with what I have now. Otherwise, stacked walls once again gets kicked to the curb in my book until they're actually useful without causing more headaches than it's worth.