PDA

View Full Version : best way to create chase walls

Archman
2004-03-24, 04:34 PM
What is the best way to create plumbing chase walls? We have tried creating a single wall with an air layer for the cahse, but we have trouble with other walls joining to it. For example, walls that T into a cahse wall try to go all the way through the chase to the back part of the wall, which is not how the wall would be constructed. I know the assignment of layers in the wall and what function you give them is key to getting the joins to work correctly. (I can get them to look correct if I change the layer definitions). However, this seem to suggest that you have to make a couple of differenct types of walls for every kind of wall you want to join to a chase wall. This seems messy, and Im not sure how it would affect scheduling and tagging of the walls.

Is it better to just create two parallel walls? I'm not sure how the scheduling and tagging would work for this either.

I just wanted to spur some conversation, and see how various people are dealing with this issue. I might not be seeing the obvious.

Thanks is advance.

aggockel50321
2004-03-24, 04:43 PM
Two separate walls, finished one side, ie 3-5/8 metal stud, 5/8" gyp, 1/4" tile, & let them schedule & tag that way...

Bill McLees
2005-12-31, 03:44 AM
I have made a chase wall that appears to clean up correctly. (The center void is defined as a substrate air barrier.)

The "chase wall" walltype has both studs set outside the core boundary. This allows the studs to wrap in cases where the chase does not intersect with a wall at both ends. (In this case, the wall could essentially be used as a column wrap where the drywall would cleanup correctly.) Having the core boundary used incorrectly does cause dimensioning problems in that you usually have to tab to the correct surface for dimensioning.

The "chase wall 2" walltype has the stud layers inside the core boundary. In this case, the wall cleans up correctly and dimensions correctly. However, it will not wrap at the ends.

Let me know if this is helpful or if there is a better way to do this.

m_cahoon14336
2005-12-31, 03:26 PM
BillyBob, That's almost too simple. You win the peanut today! I have a project that I will use this
idea on now. Thanks!!!

s.ault
2010-07-21, 08:13 PM
I have a problem with my chase walls. I have the wall type with a air space within the central core. The problem is when my plumbing guys start to plumb into the wall, they have issues because the model reads it as a wall and not a "chase" or airspace. Any suggestions outside of just showing two individual walls?

Thanks!

DaveP
2010-07-21, 09:18 PM
Model it the way it would be built.
It's two walls, so it should be modeled as two walls.

Cheating is for CAD.

s.ault
2010-07-21, 09:25 PM
Thank you for your input. I wasn't intending to cheat. In fact that is most definitely NOT my moto. However perfered to make sure that the walls were locked so the clearance would always be allocated and locked. There are other ways to achieve this obviously.

Thanks again.

s.ault
2010-07-21, 09:28 PM
dave,

so if we're scheduling a chase wall that delineates the airspace within the partition sheets and would like to schedule the wall accordingly, how do you suggest i use an interactive tag to do so? if i build it as two different walls, it will tag as such.

thanks.

nancy.mcclure
2010-07-22, 01:36 AM
I'm not Dave, but I'll give it a go:

Create a Shared Parameter (Chase Width, perhaps) and add it to your project wall category (I would make it by instance). Add it to your office Wall Tag and create a Type that shows this label. In the project you'll need to manually list what the chase width clearance is, but that data should then push through to your tags/schedules.

On the topic itself, I agree with 2 walls. While many chase conditions could take advantage of a single Type with a defined air space, you would need various types to deal with any change in that chase width across a project, and/or start introducing other types and doing wall-join gymnastics at non-symmetrical conditions. 2 walls keeps it true to how it would be constructed, and that alone is a selling point to me.

Hope that helps,

s.ault
2010-07-22, 12:37 PM
Thanks Nancy. This seems like a reasonable approach. I appreciate your time.

jabarig
2013-03-08, 08:53 PM
Using two walls makes sense but the 2 furring walls look like two parallel walls instead of one wide chase.
Other than the Linework tool is there a quick way to hide the inside line of the furring walls? I can't find a way to hide the cut-line of one side of a wall within the family parameters.

irneb
2013-03-11, 08:41 AM
You can turn on "Cut Line Style" overrides in the VG dialog of a view. Then set the "internal" edge of your wall to one of the functions (Structure, Substrate, Thermal, Finish1 or Finish2), set all the other levels to something else. Open VG turn on the "Cut Line Styles" check at the bottom right and click its accompanying "Edit..." button. Change the function you set for the internal skin to some thin line and/or light colour.

This is only a view specific work-around so you might need to redo it to other views (or use view templates). IMO the dual-wall idea is not the best idea, once you start placing openings in such a wall you constantly run into trouble. But unfortunately such a "cavity" wall is one of Revit's extreme weak points: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?146064-Cavity-Wall-Join-s