PDA

View Full Version : Better Licensing System needed!!!! RANT

Chad Smith
2004-03-25, 11:02 PM
I've said it before and I'm going to say it again:

Autodesk needs a better licensing system!!!

I've lost track of the number of times that a license has failed during program operation, or hasn't transferred properly to another machine, and this time it's Revits turn.

Yesterday I exported my license onto a floppy for one of the other guys to take home so he could practice his Revit skills (he's very interested in learning it so he too can use it in the office). But in the end he decided not to use it last night and brought the floppy back in. What he didn't know was that regardless of whether he wanted to use it or not, he still had to import and then export the license back to my machine. I probably should have told him that.

So I said to him this morning that all is not lost, I should be able to get the transfer code from the portable license utility and he could phone up someone at his home to do this for him.

This code didn't work.

So now I am stuck here typing this up because I have nothing better to do until I get my license back.

There has to be a better way.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe that the network license version enables you to 'borrow' a license and after a set time renews the license on the server and invalidates the one on the machine that borrowed it.

There should be something like this for the stand-alone version.
e.g. You export the license and ask it to expire at a certain time/date so then if the license is left at home there is no problem. When the expiration time is up, the machine the license was exported from is back in action and the machine the license went to is now inoperable.

The other thing that bugs me is that I didn't even get a 24hr grace period. I can't figure out when you get the grace period and when you don't. I was under the assumption that if a license was exported over night that you would. This really s#*ts me.

beegee
2004-03-26, 12:21 AM
To get around your immediate problem, can you just download and use a demo version ?

Nickdp
2004-03-26, 11:26 AM
chad - that's interesting, yesterday before I went home I exported the licence from my 'puta at work to 'puta at home. Came back to work today, (forgot all about exported licence), fired up Revit, and it said that my licence had been exported and warned that the 24hr grace period would expire at 6pm tonite (ie icense was exported 6pm yesterday).

This is with Revit 6.0

rhys
2004-03-26, 04:08 PM
As I understand it grace period only offered the first time a license is exported. Downloading trial version won't work if the machine has ever had the current version of Revit installed.version of Revit installed