PDA

View Full Version : Roof Beams

olson
2005-12-30, 03:47 PM
Hello,
Still working through the tutorials and other ways of learing. I have a building that has a shed roof. I have glu lam beams at 4'-0" o.c. supporting the roof. they project out of the bottom of the roof (joist not as deep). The question is that i cannot fiugre out a way to place the beams at a angle across the building. when i draw a beam it is flat. i tried a reference plane but the beam wont react with the walls. any ideas?

Rhythmick
2005-12-30, 03:59 PM
You could make the beams with the roof tool rather than as a structural family.

olson
2005-12-30, 04:31 PM
Could you point me in the right direction.

BillyGrey
2005-12-30, 04:56 PM
This is a well travelled subject. I think it pretty much boils down to how you set up and attach refrence planes to members you wish to rotate or slope during the family creation, or, just creating an in place family on a sloped refrence plane. Review these threads for a start, and report back if your headache continues :).

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=29112&highlight=rotate+beam
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=21932&highlight=rotate+beam
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=7185&highlight=rotate+beam
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2436&highlight=rotate+beam

sbrown
2005-12-30, 05:42 PM
I think all you do is pick your roof as the workplane. I'm assuming you are using the latest 8,1 families and 8.1, but you should just go to your roof plan, click the workplane tool, select your roof, then place your beams(joists).

Joef
2005-12-30, 05:59 PM
This is from the Revit Knowledge Base. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1068444
Not sure if the link will work but it should get you close.

Published date: 2005-12-22
ID: TS1053726

Applies to:
Autodesk� Revit� Building 8.1
Autodesk� Revit� Building 8
Issue

You want to know how to create sloped beams.

Solution

There are several ways to create sloped beams in Revit�. You can use reference planes or you can create sloped beams in a section, elevation, or framing elevation.

To slope the beams using a reference plane, follow the steps below. This method is good for multiple beams on the same plane.

1. In a section or elevation view, draw a reference plane on the underside of the roof.
2. Select the reference plane and click the Properties icon in the Option bar.
3. Give the reference plane a name.
4. Go back to Plan view.
5. On the Tools menu, click Work Plane > Set Work Plane.
6. In the Work Plane dialog box, specify the reference plane as the work plane.
7. Draw the beams or beam system.

To create a sloped beam to be drawn in a section, elevation or framing elevation, follow the steps below. This procedure illustrates creating sloped beams using a framing elevation. This is a good method for single instances of beams.

1. On the Structural Tab of the Design Bar, click Framing Elevation.
2. Place a Framing Elevation symbol perpendicular to the gridline in the direction of view that you want to display.
3. Press ESC once to finish.
4. Right-click the Framing Elevation symbol. Click Go to elevation view.
5. On the Structural menu, click Beam.
6. In the Type Selector, choose the appropriate beam. You can modify the properties of the beam before you add it to the Model.
7. Place the cursor in the drawing area and highlight the snapping point where you want to begin the beam. Click to set a start point, and then click again for the end point.

Rhythmick
2005-12-30, 06:25 PM
As you are looking for beams to react with the walls, here are beams that are made using the roof tool, roof / by footprint / pick walls - select bearing walls and set slope disignations, sketch the beam (roof) sides to desired width, go to roof properties / duplicate / structure / edit - set up your glulam as one core layer and adjust it's depth and material. In properties adjust base offset from level accordingly, set your end cut conditions.
Finish roof then array or copy as needed.
If you need to schedule these as structural beams this is probably not a good option but there may be work arounds there too.

sbrown
2005-12-30, 11:02 PM
You guys are making it way to complicated, I just verified my previous post

Step 1

Create the roof

step 2

Click beam, select beam type(joist)

Step 3 pick workplane,( in section or plan pick the bot face of the roof

now place your joists, point to point(end of roof to end of roof.

step 4 array as needed.

No ref. planes nothing.

blads
2005-12-30, 11:20 PM
You guys are making it way to complicated, I just verified my previous post

Step 1

Create the roof

step 2

Click beam, select beam type(joist)

Step 3 pick workplane,( in section or plan pick the bot face of the roof

now place your joists, point to point(end of roof to end of roof.

step 4 array as needed.

No ref. planes nothing.^ ^ ^ This is the way I do it as well ^ ^ ^ - works like a treat!

Rhythmick
2005-12-31, 02:55 AM
Scott,
Are you able to lock the beam ends to the roof edge, so it stretches?
EDIT: It will when I use the beam system and lock the sketch lines.

I can select the work plane prior to the beam command in the Tools drop down menu, but do not see how you may be selecting the work plane while in the beam command.
EDIT: In beam system command the select working plane is available.

For those needing the Glulam ends with a pitch cut, here is a family. Store the text file and family file in the same folder for size selection.

sbrown
2005-12-31, 07:26 PM
The workplan button is allways available in the upper left corner regardless of what command your in. I've actually been switching to a section view to make it easier to pick the bottom side of the the roof. You can also click the little grid button next to the plane button to visualy see and draw on the selected work plane.

sbrown
2005-12-31, 07:27 PM
I had trouble with the beam system, how did you select the slope that it requires you to input? Or maybe I just didn't pick the workplane right.

Rhythmick
2005-12-31, 08:47 PM
The availability of the roof to select as the working plane apparently only becomes available once it has been used as a working plane. It was not among the available working plane selections until I used it as a working plane for the beams.

I did nothing more than select the roof as a working plane for the beam system and did not notice nor can I find any slope input parameter.

Justin Marchiel
2006-01-02, 04:21 PM
Scott,
Are you able to lock the beam ends to the roof edge, so it stretches?
EDIT: It will when I use the beam system and lock the sketch lines.

I can select the work plane prior to the beam command in the Tools drop down menu, but do not see how you may be selecting the work plane while in the beam command.
EDIT: In beam system command the select working plane is available.

For those needing the Glulam ends with a pitch cut, here is a family. Store the text file and family file in the same folder for size selection.

I am new and learning the program so i would like to ask why did you do a void on one end and an extrusion on the other? why not 2 voids, or 2 extrusions?

Justin

Rhythmick
2006-01-03, 12:10 AM
why did you do a void on one end and an extrusion on the other? why not 2 voids, or 2 extrusions?

Justin
Creating the angle solid and joining was easier than creating an angle dependant beam extension and adding a void cut to the extension.

Justin Marchiel
2006-01-03, 03:58 PM
thanks for the tip

Justin