PDA

View Full Version : phasing question

bskripac
2006-01-03, 04:34 PM
I am trying to place a new door in and existing wall. The wall was created in the existing phase and the door is created in the New phase. Between both of the phases is the Demo phase and I do not see the opening for the door being represented there. It is showing up as existing, if I hover over it is highlights, but I cannot do anything with it Is this representation something that is controlled by the phase options or the door family? Any other insight on a best practices for phasing would be appreciated.

Tom Dorner
2006-01-03, 05:13 PM
I find it best not to create a phase for the "demo" work. The reason is the "demo" is best shown IMHO by creating a view with the phase set to new construction and the phase filter set to "show previous + demo"

I would try merging you demo phase with the one before and try this method to see if it works for you. (you may want to try on a copy of your file just to be safe).

HTH

Tom

patricks
2006-01-03, 05:45 PM
Tom is correct. We've had a couple of users at my office who were doing the same thing. In reality there is no "demo" phase. You have what is existing to remain (built prior to the current project), you have your new construction being built now, and what is demolished is what was built prior and removed during this current project.

So Demo is a filter, not a phase.

bskripac
2006-01-03, 06:07 PM
Makes perfect sense, I got all of that work, now I have three views. One is existing, demo and new. Demo is set up like you had mentioned, and New is set using the New Construction Phase, and the Filter has been set to "Show Previous + New". Everything reads well.

The existing plan has the current phase set to Existing, but what filter are you using to represent the existing conditions as existing. On Show All it changes them to solid black lines instead of solid gray lines. I tried to create a new filter but I am having no luck.

Is this since, this filter says "By Category" I assume I could control the Visibility Graphics of the view to halftone of all categories. Any advice?

Tom Dorner
2006-01-03, 06:14 PM
Check your "graphic overrides" tab of the phases dialog box. See what line color and pattern you have assigned to phase "existing". Also check out what material you have assigned to phase existing and that material's properties. (default material is: Phase-Exist )

Tom

bskripac
2006-01-03, 06:22 PM
It is set exactly how you described it. I even opened a blank model and drew a single wall and placed a door to recreate the issue. see attached....

patricks
2006-01-03, 07:16 PM
To display only the existing building using the Existing graphic override, set the view properties to New Construction, and the filter to Show Previous (with nothing else).

bskripac
2006-01-03, 07:25 PM
This makes the walls show up grayed out, but does not resolve the issue of the door opening which is showing up as there. It is not showing up as demo but as it would look after the opening was cut.

patricks
2006-01-03, 08:06 PM
hmm that is a little odd, the reason is because if you have an existing wall and you add a door later, the part of the wall where the door goes is considered to be demolished, and under the Show Previous filter, demolished items do not display... but we don't really show just a plain existing construction drawing in CD's at my office. We usually just show existing with demolished items, and existing + new construction items. The reason being is that existing is existing, anyone can see what it is now. We just need to show what needs to come out and what needs to be brought in as new.

But if you really need just an existing plan that shows gray, you could set the phase to existing, the filter to Show Complete, and then go into Visibilty/Graphics for that view and click on the Halftone box for things like walls, doors, windows, and whatever other things you have showing on your existing plan.

Another option would be to go to your existing plan's view properties and change Display Model to Underlay. Of course this only makes model objects read as halftone, and not any drafted lines or detail components or filled regions you may have in the plan view.