PDA

View Full Version : AU recordings worth it?

AP23
2006-01-04, 12:29 AM
I'm thinking on registering to autodesk university 2005 to get access to a couple of Revit class recordings. However, as a non autodesk subscriber it will cost me $395,= to register, which is a lot for just 4 recordings. So, before I clear out my bak account, I would like to know what do you get for that money. Are the recordings like the web cast on autodesk.com where they show you the in an hour what Revit is capable of or do they actually teach you how to do things?

MRV
2006-01-04, 12:41 AM
Why aren't you on subscription? I thought everyone using Revit had to be on subcription.

Maybe you ought to save for next year's bash, like me, where you can really get your money's worth. I don't think I'd pay too much for what I've seen so far.

Michael Vaughn
BWG Architecture

beegee
2006-01-04, 02:28 AM
If you go on subscription, you get the next release, plus the point releases, plus the builds, plus AU 2005 access. Good value, I would say.

Are the recordings worth it ? Well that depends what you want to learn, versus how that knowledge could be used in your work environment, versus how much faster / more efficient you might be with that knowledge, versus how that contributes to increasing your income or your value to your firm.

I would have to say the odds are strongly on the plus side.

luigi
2006-01-04, 08:10 AM
I'm thinking on registering to autodesk university 2005 to get access to a couple of Revit class recordings. However, as a non autodesk subscriber it will cost me $395,= to register, which is a lot for just 4 recordings. So, before I clear out my bak account, I would like to know what do you get for that money. Are the recordings like the web cast on autodesk.com where they show you the in an hour what Revit is capable of or do they actually teach you how to do things?]
Hi, there are actually 8 Revit Building Videos and 3 on Revit Structure....plus there are numerous ones with the handouts....I believe the videos will keep increasing....

Just so that you know.

Take care,

List of Revit Building Videos for AU 2005, as of 04-Jan-2006

BD11-3
BD15-1
BD21-4
BD22-1
BD22-2
BD31-4
BD34-4
BD41-1

beegee
2006-01-04, 08:23 AM
Luigi,

If you're referring to the AU 2005 Videos, I don't think your numbers are correct.

The API session was not videoed for instance.

luigi
2006-01-04, 08:32 AM
Luigi,

If you're referring to the AU 2005 Videos, I don't think your numbers are correct.

The API session was not videoed for instance.You are right, I glanced over the API, thinking it was a video when there are only handouts....:Oops:
I also missed one more building video...

Fixed my post...

cadkiller
2006-01-04, 03:48 PM
1- You get "E" learning that has some nice courses to sharpen your skills for the program you're using.

2- You get direct E mail support from Autodesk. This has helped me out on many occasions. Much better support than my reseller could provide.

3- The AU classes are first rate courses that use a power point slide with audio and some small sized video demo content for the application. I'm really excited about these being added to my subscription.

AP23
2006-01-04, 06:11 PM
3- The AU classes are first rate courses that use a power point slide with audio and some small sized video demo content for the application. I'm really excited about these being added to my subscription.[/size][/font]

Are the handouts printed sheets of the Powerpoint video presentation or are they just a summary of a greater amount of slides?

Danny Polkinhorn
2006-01-04, 08:18 PM
The handouts are separate reference documents for the class, for example, in a lab it would be the step by step instructions for completing the exercise. They are not PDFs of the slide show.

Hope that helps,

cadkiller
2006-01-04, 08:18 PM
The hand outs are PDF files of questions and answers for that particular course.

Scott D Davis
2006-01-04, 08:44 PM
The hand-outs for my class BD22-2 "Creating Details in Revit" (which aren't yet posted??) are a synopsis of what we covered in class with creen captures. It's NOT just a reproduction of the Powerpoint. In my class, Powerpoint was used for 8 slides as an introduction, then we switched to Revit and worked "Live" on a project, demostrating detailing techniques.

AP23
2006-01-05, 03:52 PM
For the other 300 classes that haven't been recorded and don't have a pdf handout on the website, what do you get when you click on the link? A slide show?

Danny Polkinhorn
2006-01-05, 07:25 PM
90% of the time, the handouts are as good as the class because you have something you can take home with you. For those classes at AU that I'm not able to attend, I make a point to go get the handout for it. For my class, my handout contained more information than I was able to cover in the lecture.