PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons of an additional level...

christo4robin
2004-03-26, 11:17 PM
I'm sitting here debating whether to make a new level for an entry that is in a "half story" location. I'm thinking on one hand that I have to tell bottom of walls to offset, stairs, etc.

On the other hand, if I create the level, then I'll have to turn its visibility off in a bunch of sections and elevations, delete the extra plans from the browser and so on.

Anybody have a philosophy that will make this decision easy for me?

beegee
2004-03-26, 11:35 PM
I agree its difficult to now in some cases which is best.

Lately, I'm tending to go for adding the level, and where possible, controlling its visibility through a scope box.

Taylor A
2004-03-27, 12:14 AM
You can make Levels that don't automatically create Floor Plans. Click off the "Make Plan View" on the option bar when you choose the "Level" command,

christo4robin
2004-03-27, 12:22 AM
Beegee,

I have been using scope boxes to make sections, plans, etc. consistent. Can you elaborate a bit more about how you are using them to control level visibility?

beegee
2004-03-27, 05:44 AM
Beegee,

I have been using scope boxes to make sections, plans, etc. consistent. Can you elaborate a bit more about how you are using them to control level visibility?

You already know about how powerful scope boxes are, but I will step through the process for hiding levels in elevation and section views ...

1. In a plan view, setup a scope box.

2. In an elevation or section view, select the levels that are to be hidden and under element properties, associate them with that scope box.

3. The default settings " Views Visible" for the scope box will have the scope box invisible for all the elevations ( > depends on your template of course. ) That can be changed as you desire, toggling the scope box visibility and/or the view property scope box association for the elevation or section.

I think this is one of the most powerful tools in Revit.

TaylorA, the scope box will also hide levels that are not associated with a plan, but still appear in elevation/section views.

Michael Coviello
2004-08-27, 01:47 PM
I have a level which shows up in sections and elevations but not in the project browser. Is there a way to select the level in section and tell it to "make plan view" after the fact? I don't know what happened to the level in the browser. thanks

aaronrumple
2004-08-27, 02:06 PM
From the menu...
View->New->Floor Plan (or ceiling plan as needed)

Michael Coviello
2004-08-27, 02:09 PM
Thanks a lot. It's not that hidden, but it would be nice if it were a property option when you right click on the level line.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-08-27, 02:13 PM
I have a level which shows up in sections and elevations but not in the project browser. Is there a way to select the level in section and tell it to "make plan view" after the fact? I don't know what happened to the level in the browser. thanks
Yes, in the view toolbar, choose floor plan and then choose the level you want to associate it with.

-z

mark_a
2004-08-29, 11:53 PM
This issue has been solved by creating a workset which is off by default, called say "Levels-not visible", and placing levels needed for modeling but not to be seen in views in this workset. Of course if you want to see a level, turn on the workset in the particular view.

mark_a