PDA

View Full Version : Turning off part of a category????

WolffG
2006-01-04, 09:20 PM
Is there any way to turn off some families of a category but not others?

Specifically, what I've come across repeatedly is this:
I want to show an elevation with wall lamps showing. However, other lamps, in this case post lamps also show because they are in front of the building.

What I have done in the past is to turn lighting fixtures off and then draft only the wall lamps using linework. There has to be an easier way.

While I'm on the subject of visibility........I'd love to see the ability to pick categories right off the drawing to turn them off, sort of like hide/isolate command

DanielleAnderson
2006-01-04, 09:30 PM
There is indeed a way to turn off part of a category. What you need to do is to create a subcategory inside your lamp family that specifies the type of lamp. Just go into the lamp family, then go into object styles and create a new subcategory. Then make sure all your lamp parts (including any flat 2d lines) are assigned that subcategory under properties. Then when you reimport that lamp family back into your project and go into the view's visibility, you'll notice that subcategory--just turn it off and voila!
You can make as many subcategories as you want, in case you want to turn off only parts of things--subcategories are cool and way easier than the process you are describing.
:)
Danielle

patricks
2006-01-04, 09:35 PM
I just wish that same process would work for system families like floors, etc. For example I might want to see floor slabs inside the building envelope, but not the floor slabs that I have placed for sidewalks, etc. outside the building. As far as I know worksets is really the only real way to do it, unless you put the sidewalks on different phases and things like that.

aaronrumple
2006-01-04, 09:45 PM
Is there any way to turn off some families of a category but not others?

Specifically, what I've come across repeatedly is this:
I want to show an elevation with wall lamps showing. However, other lamps, in this case post lamps also show because they are in front of the building.

What I have done in the past is to turn lighting fixtures off and then draft only the wall lamps using linework. There has to be an easier way.

While I'm on the subject of visibility........I'd love to see the ability to pick categories right off the drawing to turn them off, sort of like hide/isolate command
In your example, my building lights would be in my architectural workset, while my light standard would be in my civil workset. They can the be toggled off independently.